ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Ok, I am off to Afghanistan in a month, and I will be gone for some time. The point is that I will be coming home with ALOT of spare cash...
I have an '87 Z31 T that I have been working on for a few months now and I plan to finish it first thing next year. Here is what I already have:

HKS 3" exhast system
K&N intake
manual boost controller (the screw in/out type)

I installed the intake, but the exhast and boost controller where done by the previous owner. I am not sure if the ECU has been replaced, nor do I know how/where to check. Also, my clutch is going out on me. Not sure about timing belt either. Cosmetically, the car is beautiful and in great condition. Rust and ding/dent free and reasonabe paint. Only thing that needs work is engine. She runs great, but I desire more...

Now seriously, what should I do? I personally have limited knowledge on engine work, espcially welding. Anyway, drop me a line and let me know, ok? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
u sure the HKS is 3 inch? my understanding was they only made a 2.5" for our car...or is it a universal system?

·
Registered
104 Posts
i would buy a vg33 intercooler and a good set of heads, i had a good motor that got messed up because of a timing belt slipping so try to replace every seal that could leak, the point is buy a rebuildable motor hook it up and when your ready sell the one in your car now, i am about to do the same thing but i dont have the money ill have to save

·
Registered
724 Posts
GoGoZ........At this point in time I think I'd just take as many positive steps as possible to preserve the Z for the time you'll be gone. After all, you'll have plenty of time to think about what you'd like to do with it while you're away. Take some catalogs with you and in your spare time, you'll come up with more ideas then you can imagine. In addition, you'll probably meet a few fellow troops that have the same "Z" interest that you have and you can exchange ideas. Make notes and write them down.
In the meantime, I think I would focus my priorities on the matter at hand once you get over there. The best advice I can give you is watch your 6 O'clock position (your a$$) and make it back to us safe and sound. Good luck to ya and God bless ya.

Special Ops Lives...................

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The exhaust uses the headers from the HKS kit, but I believe the piping is custom. Does the HKS exhaust use only a straight pipe from the engine all the way to the muffler? If not, then it isn't the HKS. The individual who sold it to me said that it had the HKS exhaust, but the car had been worked on by his son.

How much would a VG33 motor run me? And a set of forged heads? Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spectre, thanks for the advise. My Z is in storage right now, actual as of 3 days ago. As for leaving, I wish I could say I was going out to do some high speed stuff, but I work in the embassy so most of the people I interact don't know a Z from a Pinto. However, I do plan on taking some catalogs with me. I will probably post here often, since I have net access 24/7 at my desk. I will post some pictures of Kabul, the place I will be if anyone is interested in what the desert looks like! LOL!
Your ending quote: "Special Ops Lives......." What is that supposed to mean? Not meaning to be offensive, mind you. I've been with SOF for 3 years now. Just curious, thats all. Well, have fun!

·
Registered
724 Posts
GoGoZ........I spent some years with a Special Operations unit while I was in the Air Force. Went a lot of places, did a lot "things" and had many experiences both in training and real world situations. The term "Special Ops Lives" is two-fold, in memory of my buddies that did not "make it" and for the freedoms that they (along with a lot of other units) insure and protect, that we all enjoy today. And GoGoZ.......you know as well as I do that embassy duty can have it's "challenges" as well. Again good luck.

Special Ops Lives........

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
the HKS system that was made for Z31s was only a cat back system. so I think you have a custom system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.