ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, thanks for the replies on my first post. I feel I should be able to rectify this error myself, but can't figure out where to start. My Chilton, Haynes, and factory manual all have crap on redoing the timing gear setup. First off, what do I need to take apart to get to it. Can I do this with the engine in the car, and out in my driveway. How do I get the crank pulley off and then back on?

Once I get it apart, how do I do the gear setup. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me in "manual language".

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're going to leave it in the car I would suggest you grab your Haynes manual and start there. You'll note it states to take out the radiator, then fan, then belts, water pump, (I suggest removing the front oil pan bolts and leave the others...Haynes says to lift the engine up and remove the oil pan). You will also need to move the alt, power steering, A/C (don't disconnect the A/C lines) out of your way. All the above can be done with 10mm-16mm wrenchs and you'll only need a 1/2" drive to remove the crank nut and to then pull off the pulleys.

Couple of hints for taking off the crank nut....put the z in the highest gear, apply parking brakes and pray you won't spin the engine over with your sheer strength of trying to break it free. If this happens and you've an impact wrench can be VERY helpful. Another long lost secret is using the engine to brake the bolt free. Thankfully Z's have clockwise engine rotation....

Grab the Haynes and just go through the steps without doing it and as long as you let you're patience prevail you'll make it through the real thing.

PS: Put new timing chain/gears in sense you've it all apart anyway. I picked up a good kit from napa for $93 about 3 weeks ago and you'll have peice of mind you're not going to have to do this again soon...plus you get all new gaskets!

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.