ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fred was the very first actor to speak in the old, famous movie,"Gone with the Wind." He was one of the "Tarlton Twins". Mostly famous for being a "radio announcer" @ KFAC classical music station in Prudential Square, next to The tar pits on Wilshire blvd. He had a past of lots of machine shop type work and he and Mom flew around the world together. They also worked at KFAC together. He had the best cars! Mercedes, Alfa Romeos, a mustard colored Porsche 912, yes 912 w/ac and a Honda CB450 with that good old DOHC. I had just finished high school auto shop and he paid me to do the rings and timing chain replacement on the motorcycle. He let me drive it for several months! Some spokes had lead weights!..I would ask some timing question and he would JUST SAY,"To find the arclength you want just remember a=rSintheta. Way smarter than Dad he could record a perfect Pan-Am commercial on that reel to reel Revox or Tandberg the very first time! He was from New Orleans, Loisianna and a real "Southern Gentleman" and rarely raised his voice. The only time I know I disapointed him was when a small oil leak from the left side casing got his $100 slacks stained.(Remember kids, this was in the 70's when $100 bought you something that LOOKED like something!) That's when I learned of the "heli-coil". I miss that old guy. He would drive 100mph in "one of his ALFAS" and show me,"Look Norm we're doing over 100 and the engine is going LESS than 3,000rpms!! Ha-ha. He was a true "car guy" and he also had a V12 Jaguar, A T-bird w/ run away brakes and other "stand by" cars, like the Mercury Scorpio or Murker? So for now it's "Happy Motoring!" NK PS: "I will avoid long threa.."

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Schooled by an old famous guy...Fred Crane!

He was a "big man" in a "good mood!" You wouldn't want to be the guy to "crush his BUZ!" He had a million "Fred-isms." When he was teaching Mom to drive a five-speed (in the 70's) he would yell,"Get those defective drivers off the road!!!" (More at the interior of the car, though.) He used to go drinking with the original Superman, "George Reeves". NK

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

The original Superman was George Reeves, also one of the Tarlton twins in "Gone With The Wind".

Bonzi Lon

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That's a FACT! He was the other guy, the "other guy who was Superman." That was George Reeves ! NK..

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts

Very cool story! Thanks for sharing it with us! :)

·
Registered
3,857 Posts

Good guys to remember are hard to find -

speaking of -

Where's YORG0 and Tony D.?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yes, where's OUR very favorite Super Heroes? And we know they can drive fast. NK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.