ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day i was drivin and the accelerator was actin kinda funny like the response was delayed, id hit the pedal kinda hard and it didnt pick up right away, i thought that maybe it was my injectors and that they needed some cleaner so i figured i would put it in next time i refueled.....

well then later that night i was leaving a friends house who lives like six blocks away, the street was empty so i decided to get on it a lil, i didnt push too hard, i shifted to second at like 4000rpms and to third at only 3000rpms, i got on it pretty good in third and then let off cuz i had to come to a stop but when i let off the pedal i could still hear the turbo boosting and i looked down and the rpm's were still climbin and went to like 6000. i was braking and it didnt do anything really, so i put it in nuetral and it was still kinda climbing (rpms) so i shut it off. then waited like 10 seconds and turned it back on and the rpms shot up again. so i shut her down waited then started it and hit the gas so i might disengage the throttle and it came back down.

i drove it home and then called my friend to ask his dad about it (he's a mechanic). he said at first it sounded like my clutch, but the fact that the rpms went up when i started it again made him think its a bad throttle cable. i havent had him look at it. and i havent driven since yesterday (when it happened) cuz i dont want that to happen in traffic. anybody know what it could be? how to fix? thanks ( i know this was long thanks for reading)

·
Registered
162 Posts
My 88 turbo did that, and I found that the plastic housing on the throttle cable had started crumbling and somehow jammed the throttle. I'm in the market for a new throttle cable.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
smart move shutting it off. I know someone who just put their gear in neutral and let the engine tear itself apart. haha.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah that happened to me too. It was the plastic around the throttle cable getting caught up near the throttle body. Just get under the hood and find the snag and carefully cut away the plastic around the area. That should fix the problem.

·
Registered
793 Posts
This is the same thing that happened to me dtm88na was right it is the crappy plastic around the cable it's self you need to cut it out. Easy fix

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
same thing happened to my 92'. Comin down the road hit the gas to the floor, and went to let off and it kept climbin. So i stomped the brakes, put it in N, and shut it off. BTW, i never did figure out what it was. took off TB hose and it came loose. happened again but got jammed. coolant pipe came out and lodged it. Yeah i'm scared to floor it still. Not a Z31, but figured i'd pop in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have an '85 na and same thing happened to me--turned out it was the throttle cable (if I remember correctly). Thank God, my mechanic was 3 miles down the road--scared the crap outta me (I'm a chick) . . .had to turn it off at every intersection!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yeah, I'll have to 2nd or 3rd or 4th...what all these guys are saying :eek:P However, in my 86 the gas pedal got stuck a few times until I realized that my floor mat was somehow causing the gas pedal to stick to the ground lol.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Modified_85 took the liberty of tearing it off my throttle cable and made me go "hey!" but after reading this I dont mind so much, hehe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.