ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the past 3 years i have been useing linseed oil on my dash.so far great results.i have also left a cracked dashboard out in the sun for the past 3 years useing linseed oil 1 time a month,no further cracks,slighty softer dash top. like to have some feedback. randell

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have started using Vasoline which seems to be working well, but I have been only doing it for two months. Nice and shiny! Linseed oil is a new one to me. Does it also leave a good shine? Does it harden at all?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Saving dashboards/opinions vary

I'm told UV exposure over time leaves the plastic brittle.

This damage is not reversible.

Atlhough surface coverage with linseed or vaseline will slow further UV degradation to the plastic, the age of these dashes make it unlikely cracks will stop developing, regardless of what you do.

I will eventually pull mine and have an upholstery shop cover it with a nice leather like the ones on the remanufactured 240's. Very nice, soft & pliable.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also use Vasoline on my window trim it seems to work well.And baby oil on the bumpers, I read that is what they uesd on the restored Zs.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RE: saving dashboards add

forgot to add, let linseed oil sit for a while,then whip up with warm water and dishwashing soap(just a little)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3 Things Cause Dash Covers to Dry Out

Direct sunlight, like Mike Ruiz said, heat, and shrinkage due to moisture.

Vaseline or linseed oil is moisture in that both penetrate the bonding agent in polymers and hasten disintegration of the material, which causes cracks.

Armor-All is also a penetrant, but I've had good luck with Son of a Gun protectant by STP. The dash in my original-owner '82 coupe is like new because of Son of a Gun, the fact that the car has always been garaged, and my practice of leaving the windows ajar so heated air isn't trapped inside the car on hot days. It's also a wise move to park in the shade of buildings or trees whenever possible. I've found it much easier to wash birdie bombs off my car's roof than have dashboards recovered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.