ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandblaster Recomendations

440 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Tony D 
Chris,

I have a 90lb capacity canister type I got from Habor Freight that I have used for years. When I started I had a 3hp compressor with a 20 gallon tank and an extra 30 gallon tank added to that (I now have a 6.5 with an 80 gallon tank). What I did was to add a regulator at the blaster inlet and then run my compressor regulator to where it would fill both tanks to 120psi.
The other thing I did was to build a home made blast cabinet. I looked at the units outfits like Eastwood had and patterned mine after theirs. I basically built a box with a front opening lid with a glass window in it. Then I had a sheetmetal shop cut me the pieces to make a pyrimid shaped hopper on the bottom that let my sand drop down into the 5 gallon bucket under the unit. I used my canister blaster hose feed through a hole in the side of the unit, rigged up an interior light, and a vacuum system to keep the dust down. The cabinet worked great an all for less than a 100 bucks. I have blasted hundreds of small parts over the years.

However, let me say that for big stuff, such as body panels, doors, hood, etc, I take mine to a pro who has really good equipment and uses milder abrasives than I have. He does a good job at a fair price and I figure that to have my hood, rear hatch, doors, fenders, gas tank, and several other parts taken down to bright, bare metal cost me about 250.00.

Hope this helps ya.................

Charles

Hey Chrome,

The problem with using sand is that you have to have a really good face mask/filter unit otherwise you risk getting silicosis. That is a very nasty lung disease. Here in OKC I go to a supplier who for 6 bucks a 100lb bag sells me a blast media that is the by-product of the iron smelting industry. It is basically a slag product. It cuts way better than sand, can be run through a good half dozen times before it is too broken up to use, and has no health implications. In fact the bag even says you don't need to wear a filter (I do though, better safe than sorry in the long run).

Charles

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.