ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how the Z's came origionally, but mine has one key that works the ignition, and a seperate one for the hatch (the doors have electronic locks) -- is there a reasonably priced way of getting those two to match? I have too many keys already..

I haven't checked the lock on the glove box, but I don't plan on locking that anyway.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As with every other Nissan/Datsun I have owed (going on 7 now), one key should fit all. However, on every Z that I have bought, it seems that at one point in time someone had replaced the ignition key cylinder, and didn't it rekeyed to fit the key that works the doors. You might be able to get your ignition rekeyed to fit the same key that works your doors

However, it seems that everytime I have had this problem with Z cars, the keys have different profiles, meaning that the door key doesn't even fit in the ignition cylinder, so there is no way you can just rekey it. On my current project, an 1980 280zx, I have the same problem. Right now I am still working on the engine, but eventually, I am going to order a complete replacement lock kit from Motorsport for about 200 bucks. This set for the ZX includes a new gas cap, two door locks, one hatch lock, and an ignition lock, all keyed to the same key.

Hope this helps

jA

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Go to Locksmith - Not MSA!!!!

The ignition switchis very expensive compared to the other locks. Go to a reputable locksmith and he can get you locks for the doors, hatch, glovebox, etc all keyed to your ignition for about $20 each. I had a similar problem with Zack and cured it that way.
Phantom

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Go to Locksmith - Not MSA!!!!

It cost me $28 to get all my keys done at my local lock smith. I now have one key that fits every key on my 75 280Z.
Rob,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.