Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Life is a crap shoot no matter what we drive sooo -

if we want more MPG what's on the used market that is gas friendly, reliable but yet fun to actually drive?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Re: Safety Be Darned! What are some good fun to drive econo boxe

Well, they're not really boxes but I was looking into a VW Jetta Diesel....50mpg 200hp and close to 400lb ft. torque you can't go wrong.

G

·
0 Posts

Find yourself an old Suzuki Swift turbo. They were dirt cheap and fast on the 0-60 time.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts

I just sold a '98 Civic EX coupe that was really fun to drive. Fun because it was light...not because of power. It had 127hp and felt nimble and quick, but I wasn't going to win any stoplight races that's for sure!

·
Registered
467 Posts

84 toyota corolla

87 honda civic crx

·
Super Moderator
6,412 Posts

An older Ford Fiesta. I don't how good the mpg is but you'll get a lot of attention because I think only a handful actually survived more than a few years!!LOL!

·
Registered
503 Posts

wait, wait, vw jetta diesel has almost 400 lb/ft of twist?

a 2009 diesel jetta puts down 140 hp and 236 pound feet of torque. Still a decent car, tons of miles per gallon, but a far cry from 400 lb/ft.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts

If it starts out reliable, then using it for too much "fun" will kill it, and the mileage, too. All the 'boxes" are really too tiny and underpowered for me, IMO. And, if w/ A/T, they are worse.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts

Wow, guess I was a far cry....guess that's what happens when you try to play things from memory :p

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks guys!

G

·
0 Posts

Another thing we used to do in the Turbo swift (well, 2 things) was we had made a trap door on the passenger footwell so when we went icefishing we could park over one hole and drop a second just off the passenger windshield line. This way we could fish one hole from inside the car and tie the line to the wipers for the second line, jigging it by flicking on the wipers. If the line got tugged off the wiper, it meant there was a bite.
As well, we had made adapter plates for the wheels to recieve four wheeler (quad to some people) ATV tires and went mudding in it a lot as well. Was a blast until after a couple years, the turbo started chirping. Sold it for fifty bucks with a pooched turbo and a year later the guy who bought it was still driving it to work and back every day.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts

I had a 95 mitsubishi mirage, it was a really fun little car for what it was. 5-speed 1.5L 93hp, I put some 205/45-16s mounted on really heavy over sized wheels on it to replace the 155/80-13s and it was like a different car.

I ran that car really hard, I liked to hit the rev limiter in 1st gear then hammer 2nd which would get a little spin from the front right tire. E-braking to get it side ways coming out of intersections on the industrial parkway was common as well. Gave $900 for it and drove it a little over a year, put over 30,000 miles on it. I think it had like 140,000 or 150,000 miles on it when I bought it. Only thing I had to do to it was tires and a lower control arm(who ever put the CV axel in before I bought the car messed it up, causing the ball jount to fall out while driving)It was still running and driving when I sold it, dont know how much life it had left in it though:)

Sold the mirage and bought a 4-door automatic 1.8 fwd 93 subaru impreza, which was a really good car untill it developed transmission and brake problems. Sold that and bought a 95 Tercel, 4speed 1.5 and it was the biggest peice of garbage I've ever owned. Lasted about a month, threw a rod through the side of the block coming home from work one night. Drove it several miles after it let go, made it within about half a mile from home before it stopped.

Summary.... Mirage: Tough car, wish I still had it. Impreza: really liked it just had problems. Tercel: Seeded a hatred for every tercel I see on the road.

·
Registered
697 Posts

mitsu mighty max! not a car but very light and with a 5 spd, and slightly smaller tires is a blast to drive. very cheap to buy and every wrecker has them for parts, as they dumped millions of them here. plus they're rear drive so you can drift relatively easy. very very fun on wet roads. i get about 30 mpg even with under-sized tires! who could'nt use a pickup every now and then?

·
Registered
568 Posts

Get a 91-93 B13 Sentra SE-R, you won't be able to remove the smile from your face.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.