ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stock turbo and engine on my 82 zxt. I know the boost on the turbo is around 6-7 psi's. I'm wondering what's the safest boost increase I could make without having to install an intercooler? I just had my engine rebuilt as well as the radiator. Also how do you increase the boost on the turbo, is it hard?

·
Registered
171 Posts
i have about 12psi on my 280zxt without an intercooler...but i have a larger exhaust, intake, and larger injectors...some ppl say that 12 is too much, but with the stock popoff valve, it wont let the engine overboost...looking into an intercooler though, also a stall converter...anyone know how much or where to get the stall converter?laterzz

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 3" intake and exhaust without muffler, and manual boost controler and have found that my pov will let go at about 10psi. After sealing it off the motor will ping at a low eleven lbs of boost. I do not expect to get any higher without an intercooler, but am pleased with the mustang slapping power that I have already. I have been interested in the starion intercooler conversion , but for some reason lack the few hundred dillars needed to get the intercooler and piping. One of my friends dynoed over 340 hp at the wheels with a starion intercooler and stock turbo with a trashed junkyard turbo motor with a muffler. He was able to run 14lbs of boost or more with good gas and a rigged cold start valve to produce the hoda spanking mustang slapping 300+ hp motor. Btw I have a 82 280zxt.
good luck
still240z

ps manual boost controlers can be made with parts from home depot or lowes for less than 10 bucks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for everyone's help. What I understand now from what been said is that it's pretty safe to "overclock" the 280zxt to around 10 psi. Now that I know this does anyone know exactly how to change the boost? Would I need a mechanic to do this or is it just turning alittle screw?
Thanks
-poopysnaps

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
You have to either make a bleader type valve or buy a manual boost controller from http://www.dawesdevices.com/boost.html for $50.00. With that you can adjust the boost by a turn of the knob....BUT before you do that, you have to get a new boost gauge and you have to modefi the stock pop off valve http://home.flash.net/~joeao/greg/adjpopoff.html or you can buy one for a little under $100.00 from MSA...costly and does the same thing as the home made POP valve. I have recently found out that ebay is my friend...I've bought a lot of my parts like the boost gauge for a really good price. I also got a universal A-pillar gauge pods for $20 bucks. They also have a variety of intercoolers to choose from once you get to that point. Good luck.

ps. you should go to hybridz.org and check out the turbo board as there are a lot of people there running lots of boost.

ratedZ
83zxt

·
Registered
171 Posts
my injectors are 275cc...

the previous owner installed them...if u want i can ask where he got them and what type they are...by the way my car passes CA emissions..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.