ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the Saab Inter-coolers at all desirable for use on a turbo Z? They seem to be a decent size so I picked 2 up from the local U-Pull-It. One is all aluminum and the other is aluminum and plastic (much lighter). Which would be the better of the two? I only need one so the other may be for sale. What would the going price be for these?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
For a Z they are junk. They are too small and too restrictive. They will sell for $30 - $50 on Ebay. If you are into fabrication, 2 or three of the cores welded together with custom endtanks would be a good IC solution.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would be a better alternative "off the shelf" production unit that I could find in the junk yards?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
MK IV Supra ic's are great, Starion ic's will work fine too. Porsche 944 ic is great if you can find one. Problem is you don't see those cars in junkyards,except an occasional Starion and the ic is 99% certain to be gone by the time you get to it ;)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
well what about the factory intercooled laser/eclipse/talons? i almost bought a turbo intercooled all-wheel drive 92 laser not too long ago, that little wench was a screamer, for being completely factory. 195 hp stock. but would it be too small for being from a 4 banger?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I had one from a 92 Talon and it was small. It looked efficient though and I was tempted to get another and put the 2 together as one unit but that's too much time and cash for an experiment. Some of the DSM people are running 2 ic's but as hard as it is to pipe one, two seems like one too many...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
You might try one from a Ford Probe/Mazda MX6 turbo. The only problem with those is the inlet/outlet tubes are 1-7/8", a bit smaller than stock. Otherwise the end-tank design and fairly large core makes for a fairly efficient IC. The MKIV supra, Porsche 944, and Starion/Conquest have useable factory intercoolers as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.