ZCar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i got a 280zx 1983 and i want to know if a i can use a s13 trany and clutch for swap thanx.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
you should be able to swap out any of the transimissions from the s30. but why?
do you currently have the T-5? the best trans to have probably is from an '82. unless you are wanting to go with the early 4 spd. not sure about the clutch. might be different on the zx.

Bon

·
Super Moderator
41,003 Posts
Yes you can, with basic work.
It's detailed on the Internet.

·
Super Moderator
41,003 Posts
you should be able to swap out any of the transimissions from the s30. but why?
do you currently have the T-5? the best trans to have probably is from an '82. unless you are wanting to go with the early 4 spd. not sure about the clutch. might be different on the zx.

Bon
My T5 screamed like a banshee and kept blowing out bearings.
Switched to a Tremec TKO and it's been fine since, much better than the crap T5 ever was!

Given the cost differences now a G-Force conversion or one from the outfit in Florida is a much better alternative than the weak Nissan T5!

"Best?" Hardly!

Under 300, give me the good old B-Box.
To 400, the KA/S13 Conversion.
Over 400...Z32 box is a difficult sell, but cheapest in some respects.
Over 600, forget anything but a short-lived Z32 box or Tremec, T56, TKO, etc...

Frankly, the T5 was a basta rd tranny, only used two years. If it was so great, it would have been retained in the Z31-Series....it was not. Though the differential (R200) was, that should speak loads about the Nissan T5!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
didn't the z31 turbo have the T-5? were they really that crappy? i know the shifter was kinda crappy and guys were swapping out for the mustang shifters and short-throws from summit racing. i was hoping to go with an 83 turbo with the t-5 someday... maybe i should reconsider that drive train??? on the n/a i prefer the 82 close spread transmission. it feels good in my 83 non-turbo and seems to work well with the 3.90 rear end:grin

i wonder if it's possible to get a six-speed trans to fit in a 280zx? does tremec have those? and doesn't the 350/370 have 6 spds? curiosity gets the best of me sometimes

bonny

·
Super Moderator
41,003 Posts
Why do you need six speeds? Your engine that peaky?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
nah, not at all. it was just a thought for a future turbo build. my father's vette had a 6 spd that i thought was kinda cool, but not really a necessity while only going 75 on the freeway, at least on I-15... can't go any faster, too many cops driving around in unmarked chargers and sometimes even vettes!

would you ever consider doing one?

Bon

·
Super Moderator
41,003 Posts
I have one on a turbo car because with 4.11 gears it gives me terminal speed of 242mph due to the overdrives.

A Turbo Car would never need one for the street.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
cool... must feel great on the freeway though.
if i may ask, Tony, which transmission did you use on your setup and did you have to do a lot of modifications for it? z or zx?

Bon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts