ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 85 na with a frozen caliper, so I got one off of an 84 turbo, according to Z Bums listings, they're the same. But the #s on the calipers don't match up. The #s on my calipers are as follows (the odd spacing is to represent the #s position on the caliper):

OLD
55Q
28AB 28
L R

NEW
3XB
C18AB C18T
L R

If anyone can shed some light I'd REALLY appreciate it. They appear to be the exact same calipers, same size, single pistons and all that.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, well that side that I'm replacing had an EFFED up rotor, the pads were shot and eating away badly at the rotor, if I had taken it to a shop they would have laughed at me :) Anyways, when we were doing the brakes, while I was away, my friend took a c-clap and started compressing them in, but wasn't using a wrench laying across the piston to evenly distribute the pressure, so I think he may have boogered something up in that caliper. On the way home that side was stuck pretty bad and was smoking a little when I pulled into my parking lot. The other side was fine...so I guess the calpier was maybe a little bad, but him compressing it unevenly didn't any either. Plus this is the caliper with a hollow piston, I see no way to twist the piston in. Z Bum mentioned on Z31.com that they're probably from different manufacturing plants and had diff. casting codes or something like that, but I'd rather wait for some more answers before I go through with the install.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought new calipers/rebuilt with liftime warranty for 29.95 a piece at
O' Riellys in Houston. The numbers and rotors were exactly the same as your old caliper numbers. Have been very pleased with the service.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The reason they are so cheap is because the need core's really bad they pay 50.00 per caliper as a core but sell you the caliper for~30.00 figure that out

·
Registered
53 Posts
You know,bad brake hoses will make it seem as if the calipers are frozen. believe it or not, but i've put new calipers on cars for people who thought they were bad, and same problem with new ones. try replacing the hoses first, they are much cheaper than calipers, and are often over- looked when having brake trouble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.