ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, while I'm here looking for a Z-car to purchase I figured I'd share a few pics of my old vintage-red RX-7 for anyone else that appreciates rotary-engine'd sportscars.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Very nice. I like those a lot, I've had a turbo II and really enjoyed it. Is your motor stock?

If your looking for a nice 280Z, I have an all original 78 in NC. It's not driveable at the moment as I'm installing a turbo setup. The plan is to fix a small spot of rust below the battery and a spot about the size of a silver dollar in the floor. It is the metallic blue and I am going to repaint it the same, inside and out. It has full interior with working air. It needs new carpet. Right now the drivetrain is out, I'm putting the urethane bushings, sway bars, struts, springs, etc in. I plan on selling it, I have too many projects. It will be very nice shortly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JBond,no it's not an R1. It's a touring-model (not as collectable as the R1/R2, but I prefer the tan leather seats to the R1's suede seats and I think the "ass" looks better without the R1 rear-spoiler).... that's the R1 front-spoiler on the car though.

Matt, the car came with a PF mid-mount intercooler, PF stainless high-flow exhaust-system, Fluidyne radiator, KONI adjustable coilovers, Cusco front strut-bar, HKS blow-off valve, PF boost-gauge, SL 3-piece alumnium wheels, Bridgestone Potenza tires, MOMO short-throw shift-kit, OEM R1 front-spoiler, OEM 2002 J-spec tail-lights, and OEM Efini emblems. Whenever you get your Z up and running, email me some pics.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
sorry, I couldnt resist. those cars do look sexy as **** tho.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Had an 87 RX-7. I don't care what anyone says about the rotary. I love them and would love to have one again. Maybe down the road I'll have one with an LS7 and one with the rotary.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahaha! The car did have an engine-rebuild before I bought it.

Although the whole "rotaries are unreliable" thing is just a myth. If properly maintained the engines can be quite reliable (so much so that they are also used in aircraft, boats, submarines, and military UAV's). The rotary-engine's ability to handle massive ammounts of abuse is exemplified in its lineage of endurance-race victories; dominating The 24-Hours of LeMans (making Mazda the only Japanese automaker to do so), winning overall at the Belguim Francorchamps 24-hour race (making the RX-7 the only Japanese car to do so), winning multiple Daytona 24-hour race victories (allowing the RX-7 to surpass the Porsche Carrera's record for most IMSA wins by a single model, and surpassing Porsche's record by winning Mazda 6 consecutive manufacturer's titles), winning 3 straight Bathurst 12-hour races in 3 years, completing the grueling 84-hour Marathon De La Route at Nürburgring.... as well as conquering the Super-GT championships, conquering the Fuji Grand Champion series, conquering the Singapore Grand Prix, conquering the Australian Touring Car championships, and setting land-speed records.... just to name a few of its motorsport accomplishments (not to mention all the wins by privateer race-teams).

·
Registered
70 Posts
very nice! i like the mazda's but have personally never even been in a rotary on the road....i know i'm deprived lol!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
i had a rotary. I didnt like it, horrible gas mileage, no torque. and an engine that went bad sitting on the shelf. Ill explain. bought an 87 convertible with a blown engine (surprise!) bought an engine from a wreck off of Ebay in fall, went to put it in in the spring. no compression in 2nd rotor. went bitching to a freind that works at a junkyard and he said they go bad sitting on the shelf. something about a teflon coating in the rotor housing flaking off. His yard has sold engines that they pulled out of running cars that sat on the shelf, pulled for 6months to a year and came back within a week for warranties because of low compression in the rotors.

they are pretty though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha! Yeah, I'll agree with the bad gas-mileage (that's the reason Mercedes abandoned the rotary in their C111 and Cheverolet did the same with the rotary in their Aerovette project).

I wouldn't say they have "no torque", but the stock production-car engines didn't have a whole bunch on the low end. That's not one of their strong-points.

The primitive rotary-engines had their share of mechanical issues, but it isn't really fair to evaluate their reliabilty based on observing motors from wrecked cars and junkyards.

All in all, rotaries have some disadvantages... but they also have several advantages over reciprocating piston-engines. I personally love R.E.'s, but not everyone feels the same. Just preference I guess.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Norm, **** yeah bro! I'd like to get ahold of an RX-3 coupe (great motorsport history).

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
RIOT! Haven't heard from you in awhile? How are things?

1 - 20 of 126 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.