ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1976 280Z has rusted areas in the floor panels which penetrate the floor, including one area approx. 6 inches in diameter. What are the recommended ways to repair and/or replace? Where can parts be found?

I know nothing about Z's, although I am learning fast.
Any information is much appreciated.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Only one way to correctly fix rusted out panels and that's to cut out the bad and weld in new sheet metal.

I have repaired small holes (up to about 1/2 dollar size in hidden places using the following procedure.

Clean all loose rust away. Grind, wire brush, sand etc. to get it as clean as possible around the hole, for a few inches. Paint the area with a rust converter. (I use corroless from Eastwood company) Auto parts stores should have one. Once the rush converter has dried according to directions, I mix up a little epoxy metal putty (available at auto parts stores) and form it into two disks a little bigger than the hole. Then I press one onto each side of the hole simultaneously so that it sorta makes a plug. I try to work it smooth and work the edges down to a nice transition with the sheet metal. This stuff gets hard in 15 minutes so there's not much time.

After it dries for a couple of hours I sand it, paint it with rust converter and when that's dry I paint it with a finish coat on the inside, and rubberized undercaoting on the outside.

I only do this in areas where it does not show (inside the spare tire well, under the carpet, etc) and I've been fortunate that my Z only has about half a dozen rust spots.

Hope this helps.

Bob A.

> My 1976 280Z has rusted areas in the floor
> panels which penetrate the floor, including
> one area approx. 6 inches in diameter. What
> are the recommended ways to repair and/or
> replace? Where can parts be found?

> I know nothing about Z's, although I am
> learning fast.
> Any information is much appreciated.

·
Registered
439 Posts
There is only one way to fix rust, cut it out and weld in new panels. I have had the same problem with all my Z cars, I bought a set of repalcement floor panels from Zedding Findings 613-389-1397 or home page at <A HREF=http://web.ctsolutions.com/zeddfind>http://web.ctsolutions.com/zeddfind</A> which were realy very good and a heavier gauge than stock (with good prices too). They do need to be welded in, fortunately for me I have friend who is a steel worker and has a mig welder. The best rust preventative that I have found has been from Groits Garage, 800-345-5789, they are expensive, but their products do what they say it will and they make several product for restorers
> My 1976 280Z has rusted areas in the floor
> panels which penetrate the floor, including
> one area approx. 6 inches in diameter. What
> are the recommended ways to repair and/or
> replace? Where can parts be found?

> I know nothing about Z's, although I am
> learning fast.
> Any information is much appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.