ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should have inspected it better but I was dazzled by the nice paint job on my 78 280z that I purchased a month ago but it has a fist sized hole inside the front wheelwell. It looks like it's in the frame rail where the wheel well sheet metal meets the rail. I realy want to keep this car. What can I use to repair it and prevent any more holes from forming? Thanks

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If you want to keep the car, I would suggest doing the job right, which means replacing the rusted areas with fresh sheet metal welded in place. Speaking from experience, this is not a job for the fainthearted. If you can afford it, have a body shop do it. If you know your way around a mig welder, you can probably do it yourself.

If it's a small hole, just cut a chunk of similar-guage sheet metal out of any car (I use patch panels from a parts car I have). If it's larger and looks like it may comprimise the structural integrity of the frame rail, I'd get a new frame rail. They can be had from Classic Parts and Restorations whose link appears with this message. If you need full floors with the frame rails already attached, you can get them (in pairs only for $280) from Rust Doctors in New Jersey. They don't have a website, but you can call them at 609-693-1631. They are very nice and helpful.

One last thought, and that is that you should try to figure out how the area rusted in the first place. Obviously, there's water getting in somewhere that gets trapped. It's definitely worth your while to track that down or you'll just be doing the same repair again someday. My '75Z had a totally rusted out drivers floor due to a leak in the cowl (the part between the windshield and hood) right around the windshield wiper motor. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.