Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have been looking for a '77 - '78 280z. I live in the S.E. where rust is not normally a problem. But every 280 I've looked at has had pretty bad rust problems. It's in the same place on every one - rockers, hatch, wheel arches and even behind the hood hinge mounting points. I didn't think it would be so hard to find a rust-free car in the south but is. Sure you would expect to have to do some rust removal or prevention. But to have to replace rockers and floorpans almost seems to be the norm. I had a '77 in the mid '80s and it had zero rust so I guess that's what I was expecting to find. Are they like this no matter where you buy one? Supposedly Cal. and Ariz. cars are not like this. Is this true? Also, if you replace all of these parts what is the best thing to prevent this from happening again? It appears to be in the design of the car. Thanks
for the feedback.

Joe

·
Registered
548 Posts
My '76 280Z came with me to NE from California. In just 4 short years, The car has built up significant rust. What the people out here have told me is that these 280 Z's are somehow prone to getting rust. The advice I have been given on how to prevent more rust or the progression of the current rust is simply to move back to California. When I was in Cali, my Z had no rust. There should be some rust free ones out there. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.