Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey-

I'm sure this has been a VERY common issue to all of you- those nasty rust spots that appear on the 80's-and-older Z's. Personally, I removed the spare tire and found a nice little collection starting in the well there. It's not rusted through anywhere, but I want to stop it before it does. My question is-what product(s) do you reccomend for taking the rust out of your car body? I've heard that household stuff like C.L.R. is a bad idea because it can eat through paint and aluminum if it drips. Any ideas much appreciated!

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
how does it TURN rust into primer? Im not saying BS Im just curious how it does this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There's another stuff, white liquid, u have to "paint" it on, and like, in a few minuets literally, it turns back into Iron by removing the oxygen that bonded with the iron that make Iron-oxide (aka Rust). It's like a black metal with no rust, but as for goin from that point on, I'm not too sure, I've only toyed with the chemical on my 89 civic and it works pretty good, I just never bothered to sand it down and repaint it to see if it stayed away. It's late now so I'll get the name of the stuff Tomorrow afternoon after work.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had the same problem with my car. I wire brushed the big blew it out and sanded the **** out of it. (don't breathe rust by the way). After the sanding, i sanded it again, then i painted it with rustoleum primer. After drying, I painted it again with Rustoleum black paint. Rust is still gone to this day. I might come back, but itll stay gone for a good while.

·
Registered
724 Posts
To 300ZX Enthusiast.............How long ago did you treat the rust problem so we'll know how long the treatment has held up? Sounds like a good fix.

Special Ops Lives

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well my spare tire well got the treatment about 6 months ago. I checked it today while I was cleaning my car out and its still good as far as I can tell. I fixed the leak that caused the rust in the first place, (Taillight seal), and wire brushed the big stuff, vaccumed, sanded with 180 grit, vaccumed, blew it out and then Rustoleum Primer. (Self-Etch is better if you can find it, check a PPG store or DuPont) Then Rustoleum black paint. If you don't fix the leak it WILL come back. Also, Muriatic Acid will eat rust and it will stay gone even longer just BE CAREFUL. (I didn't use it). A side note though, I also fixed some rust under the tool kit and there is a slight reoccurence of rust. I'm guessing the foam stuff that covers the spot is causing it from lack of air flow. Anyway, that stuff that DarylHewitt mentioned is problably good stuff but I just used what I had on hand. Your choice, mine has lasted good enough for me until I can afford to repaint the car. Later.

·
Registered
875 Posts
My rust area was also under the took kit and I used POR-15 and swear by it great stuff. dries hard as a rock, then paintable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.