ZCar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm looking to get a 74 260z for a project car, and I've found a roller for ~$1500 that seems decent from what I can tell.
The "what I can tell" is the kicker here, I don't know these cars as well as some.
I know that rust is a pretty guaranteed issue on these cars, and this has it, but I'm not sure if it hits the deal breaker territory or just too much to fix.

An album of photos can be found here, any opinions on the state of things (not limited to rust) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,232 Posts
Well, I see at least $10- $15 grand in body work there if you have to pay someone for rust repair and paint, and want to end up with a clean car. Does that help?

I'd pay more and find a car with less rust, especially on the body.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I see at least $10- $15 grand in body work there if you have to pay someone for rust repair and paint, and want to end up with a clean car. Does that help?

I'd pay more and find a car with less rust, especially on the body.
For sure. I know that I can do a lot myself, but I'm never sure of how much it takes on cars like these.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,232 Posts
For sure. I know that I can do a lot myself, but I'm never sure of how much it takes on cars like these.
The fenders and rockers take metal work. Another place I've heard that rusts is the body under the hatch.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Many other locations for rust. One will be the body under the fenders behind the front tires--close fit traps moisture. When interior panels are removed you will get a better picture of internal rust, such as the body/wheel well arc over the rear tires. And all those overlapped pieces of thin steel at various locations surely have rust under the laps that will not be easily stopped in its tracks unless metal is removed. You should take pilgram's advice, I do believe, as it will likely be a long project.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,232 Posts
There is a post in another part of the forum about a 76 280 for sale - claims to be rust free. Sounds like a MUCH better prospect with a lower cost to get fully functional.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts