ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Z has some rust issues, there is surface rust underneath the rear carpeting, I'd like to get it fixed so could anyone tell me some good products that would help stop the rust from spreading and something to take care of it and cover it up.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, will do. I just wasn't sure that there was a product that would stop/help it instead. I'll have it done that way. I didn't take welding class in H.S. so I'll have a body shop do it. Thanks anyways.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If it's only surface rust...don't waste your $.

Best bet.....dry it out and brush some gear or motor oil all around the area...letting it pool in the low areas...put the carpet back down.

Nothing will stop the rust as good as oil will...........

Fix the leaks............

DON'T let it go...............

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'd sand it and then go looking for the elusive material to fix it. My dad used some stuff on his old chevy truck that he claimed would chemically stop the oxidation and turn it into something like a primer.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, thanks guys. Is that POR stuff good? I have some other places that have rust, but there rotted out a little. I'll have a body shop fix that stuff. If I can fix the surface rust and stop it with a product, I'll do that.

Post Edited (Mar 18, 10:15am)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If it is surface rust, get a wire brush, or a roto zip with a wire wheel on it. Remove rust, and take it to bare metal. Make sure all of the rust is gone, and you see shiney metal. Then paint with POR, or some other kind of rust treatment. You should'nt have any more issues.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeh, the rust in the trunk underneath the carpet is just surface stuff. Thanks for the tips guys, I'll get too it after I get some more cash.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at the rust in the trunk today and saw that the previous owner put some black crap on it without sanding it down. Should I still sand it down then put some stuff on it to stop the rust from spreading more?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.