ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm a senior in high school and i'm taking auto tech 2 next semester, I've been saving up for a couple of months delivering pizza and i'm looking to buy a first generation 240z. i've been looking online every night researching them and i wanted to know what the best way to fix rust on the unibody ie. floor boards, roof ect. just in case i look at a z with some rust. what type of welder should be used and what is the process like. any help would be appreciate. thanks.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
my first suggestion is dont buy a rusty car to begin with.
look on ebay ive seen ones that are from rust/snowbelt statest
that were garaged.

if u have to buy a rusty car remove all the bondo first thing off. it holds moisture
and accelerates the rot.

a cheap mig welder can be had for a couple hundred. get the kind without
the argon cylinder. they have special wire that doesnt need argon. the welds
are not as pretty but u are on a budget. use a drill or a spot weld drill to
remove spot welds anywhere u can. its cleaner to remove whole panels

get an angle grinder to cut your panels off the car
plenty of sparks so invite the neighbors for an early 4th of july
no fancy plasma cutters for you :(

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Buy a car without rust, and buy the most car you can afford up front. That way you can actually DRIVE the thing rather than have it spread all over your garage getting repairs for various ailments. Rust is the worst of these, and the most discouraging to fix as where there's some obvious, there's always more hidden.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
yeah rust is like roaches, you may see a little, and think "oh i can handle that" but then there's lots more hiding waiting to jump out and gnaw your friggin head off. then the neighbor comes over and laughs, and wants his **** sandblaster back, even though he told you to keep it as long as you needed, and you're still left with 4 bags of sand sittin around, and the **** cat keeps sneakin in there and leavin you presents. throwing the sand at the rust don't do much more than make a mess. it does cover up the oil spots on the concrete though, or would've, if shauna did'nt come around and decide to sweep out the garage, and sell most of the valuable junk i had laying around out there. then you have to spend lots of time trying to restore your collection of parts to cars you don't even own anymore.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
While normally I would agree with all the other posts above, since you are studying autos and bodywork, then things are different.

Auto body repair can be a great occupation. Today, however, most shops specialize in just replacing parts instead of restoring them. If you want to learn to be good at welding, then a first gen Z car is a perfect thing to begin with.

If you can see any rust, then you can **** well bet that there is other rust lurking in places you cannot see it.

You shouldn't have too much trouble fixing rusted body panels like door skins, fenders, etc. Rust under the batter compartment is common. You can fix that once you are "at home" with the MIG welder. Minor rust in the floors can be cured, too. One thing you gotta keep in mind is that if your floor boards, rocker panels and frame rails are rusty, you might need to buy replacement parts and weld them in. These parts will cost you anywhere from $35 to $300, with floorpans being the most expensive.

Nearly any first gen Z is gona be a candidate for rust. My advice is to TAKE YOUR TIME and look around. Learn how to examine a car for rust using an ice pick, magnet, etc. DON'T BE IN A HURRY.

Depending on where you live, you might be able to find a good one for a fair price. See if you can drive to nearby towns and check things out. And don't forget this website as a source for cars. I think the descriptions will tend to be more honest and accurate. Remember, a car listed on eBay as "rust free" may actually have a lot of rust that is just "invisible" to the person selling it. Rust can really hide on these cars.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Be patient and do not buy a car out of haste. Do not buy a car on ebay if you can't go and look at it. I went to look at a "rust free beauty" that was on ebay, and it was more rust than not!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.