ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 5 months ago I found a 71 240Z for $100....it ran very badly but what the heck....so now I have my project car....needless to say that the guy kept it outside and complained that a bad seal around the windshield had let water leak into the passenger side.....the interior needed to be gutted and I found that the seats under 6 layers of rotten seat covers where absolutly nasty.....under the passenger seat where the water had been pooling the floor board is weak and bends with a slight push.....under the hood several spots of rust and the entire undercarage is rust but seems stable underneath the rust....I am in the process of pulling the engine and trans. and any other parts that I come across....was done I intend to take care of the rust as best I can and then seal it up and prime it......My question is what is the best way to remove the rust not only from the undercarage but from the engine bay and from various exterior panels.....stripping the paint suggestions would be greatly appreciated also.....and secondly what is the best way to seal it back up and make sure that it doesn't rust again......oh yeh any tips on removing the engine would be great also as this will be the first engine I have pulled solo.....thanks Simon....

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pulling the engine is a snap. The haynes manual says pulling it and the trans together is easiest (which you will be doing), but I;ve never done that, just the engine. It takes me about a half hour by myself. First take the hood off. I release the latch then loosen the 4 bolts that hold it on, remove the bottom bolts and lower the hood, then remove the top ones and lift it off, one man job. Remove the radiator and all the other components and it comes right out.
As for the rust and paint, I used stripping wheels from pep boys, cut out the major rust areas, sprayed rust converter on and fiberglassed over the holes. Then I used rustoleum spray cans for the primer. I stripped the whole car down in my garage 2 years ago and no rust yet.

good luck and have fun
Mike Golding

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.