ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im bummed. I just spent $500 at the Z shop getting my fuel pump replaced, my #1-3 injectors replaced (they were leaking badly) and my valves adjusted. This makes me flat broke until payday. The mnechanic hooked it up to some "interregator" machine, and told me that the car was running too rich. He said the timing was ok, and he said that for another $70 he could poke around and see what was up. I didnt have the money, so I asked him what his free opinion was. He said it was either an O2 sensor or the fuel pressure regulator going bad. I drove home, and ever since then the car has run more and more crappy. It bogs down at all RPMs, and it doesnt want to idle when cold now.

PLEASE HELP ME!!! I cant afford to take her back to him right now, and I need it back for work! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Joe

·
Registered
351 Posts
RE: RUNS LIKE CRAP!!! "Run away from you Mech

Sound like you have a fraud mechanic that make thing worse everytime you take the car to him. Boy or Boy if I were you I'll start running.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<b>RE: RUNS LIKE CRAP!!! "Run away from you M

You can check yourself the O2 sensor.
The computer is located next to your left foot. At 2000rmp you should see a green light blinking. If it blinks more than 10 times in 10 seconds, your O2 ssensor if fine. If it is not blinking, staying On or stayin OFF then you need to replace it.
Either way....do it yourself or go elswhere. If you can do a spark plug you should be able to do that too. About $10-15 they cost.
A faulty 02 made my Z run rich, but not to the point that it was affecting anything more than black exhaust tips and poor gas mileage (another way to detect if it running rich)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Read or Pay

I agree with Keith and ZAX-Z on both counts, but unless you like shoveling lots of money at problems, you'd better get yourself a shop manual with a trouble shooter. Whether you do your own work or not, it's good to know what's wrong and what fixing it entails. Click on the banner above and Derek can help you out.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: Read or Pay

Thanks guys, but now the car wont even start. If I give it gas, it dies(on the rare occasion it idles long enough for me to give it gas). I tried disconnecting the cold start valve, didnt help. If the fuel pressure regulator is bad, would the symptoms be like I have? I have a shop manual for my car, (the big SHOP manual) but it doesnt say where the O2 sensor is. Help me out...Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Break Down and Go to a Pro.

You say you've got the manual, cross off the stuff you've already checked or tried and let an experienced wrench handle things. At this point, it'll most likely be cheaper and less aggravating than fooling around until you screw something really expensive up.

A manual is just a catalog of facts and tips, my friend. Having one in your hand isn't guaranteed to make you an expert, and no one ever said it would. All it can do is tell you how to apply your skills with the greatest effect. If you don't have any skills, or you'd rather get torqued off and whine than go to work intelligently and fix things, you might as well be reading a comic book.

·
Registered
787 Posts
RE: Read or Pay

Joe, Check the Head Temperature Sensor it should be just under the number 5 sparkplug. It sounds to me that is your problem. If it goes bad it will tell the computer that the engine is cold and make run rich. If it goes completly it will start and then die. Get an ohm meter and check the resistance. Then go to your shop manual and see if it is within specs. If not then get a new one. The sensor costs around (i think) 40 dollars.

Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<b>RE: Read or Pay</b>

You may have also flooded the car and this may have caused the cylinders to lose compression. If that has happened, you may want to let it breath for awhile. the best thing to do is to take the plugs out, clean them, and meanwhile put some oil in the cylinders to regain compression. Fuel pressure regulator will make it a bitch to start, it may even not start, but after it starts....you should be OK. In addition, when they flood they have a tendency to through up fuel in the air filter container...make sure that is clean also.
I share your pain !!!! Good luck !!! (been there b4)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.