ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Im bummed. I just spent $500 at the Z shop getting my fuel pump replaced, my #1-3 injectors replaced (they were leaking badly) and my valves adjusted. This makes me flat broke until payday. The mnechanic hooked it up to some "interregator" machine, and told me that the car was running too rich. He said the timing was ok, and he said that for another $70 he could poke around and see what was up. I didnt have the money, so I asked him what his free opinion was. He said it was either an O2 sensor or the fuel pressure regulator going bad. I drove home, and ever since then the car has run more and more crappy. It bogs down at all RPMs, and it doesnt want to idle when cold now.

PLEASE HELP ME!!! I cant afford to take her back to him right now, and I need it back for work! Any help is greatly appreciated!

Joe

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Your mechanic is either a moron, or just wants your
money. In my experience, the O2 sensor and fuel pressure regulator don't affect the mixture enough to cause the running problems you describe (unless the fuel pressure regulator has a leak in the diaphram, which can easily be verified by pulling the vacuum hose off it while running). Assuming that the car IS running rich (and you should be able to smell the unburnt fuel in the exhaust), I'd check the following:

First thing I'd check is the FI temp sensor, which should be on the spark plug side of the head toward the rear. When the car is hot, there should be no resistance in the sensor.

Second, the thermotime switch and the cold start injector. Just disconnect the cold start injector and see if the car runs any better.

Third, it's not really a good idea to replace 3 injector when they probably don't flow the same as your 3 old injectors, so when you have the money, you may want to get three more injectors. Till then, find out if any of the old injectors, or the cold start injector, are sticking or leaking by doing a fuel pressure check after shutting off the engine. If the pressure drops off after killing the engine, then you have leaky injectors.

Hope this helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.