Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all,
I have an '84 ae auto and lately I have been experienceing some problems similar to a dodgy A.F.M. (missing backfiring and stalling). I have had this before, I changed the A.F.M.(2nd hand) and it ran sweet. But this time I put a brand new A.F.M. and it has made it even worse, then put the other one back and ran worse again. I can't find any cracked wires from the plug and I have checked for crack's in the dizzy cap and leads, the timing mark's match. Can anyone help me with this P.O.S.? Cheer's

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I think i had a similar situation. let me describe my problems and tell me if you're experiencing the same thing.

the car accelerates just fine. once you get to speed it seems to cut out periodically, and when you start to back off the accelerater pedal, it seems as if somebody has momentarily turned the engine off.
If you keep giving it gas its fine, but backing off the pedal slightly seems to cause the engine to die for a moment.
The other symptom i noticed was that if i put the tranny in neutral when slowing down, rather than downshifting, the car wouldn't idle properly. the engine would jump up and down and usually stall if the car was moving forward but left in neutral. One those occasions when it didn't stall, the idle would keep jumping up and down until the car came to a complete stop, and then it would sit exactly where it was supposed to.

I was totally perplexed by this problem for a long time, thinking it must be the air flow meter cause the symptoms were totally related to movement of the throttle, or when the car was moving. sometimes it would get really bad, but then it would disappear for months on end, until one time it came back way worse than ever before.

anyways, it ended up being my fuel temperature sensor causing all these problems. the little tab that sticks out of the fuel pressure regulator is the contact for the fuel temperature sensor, and mine had cracked and was only hanging on by a little sliver of material so it wasn't sending a proper signal. i tried soldering it back on, which fixed the problem for awhile, but engine vibrations eventually broke the solder and so i just replaced the whole FPR, and haven't seen the problem since.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Have you done the fuel feedback ratio test in the FSM?

For some reason I'm thinking O2 sensor.

Also, on a dark night open your hood with the car running and look for any signs of arcing.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
it's what happens when the spark grounds itself on the engine or chassis instead of going to the spark plug. It's visible at night.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello again,
I have checked for arcing but I havn't checked the fuel temp sensor. I'll check it out and let you know. Cheer's

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
"it's what happens when the spark grounds itself on the engine or chassis instead of going to the spark plug. It's visible at night."

like if the wire insulation has gone bad and current is leaking out to the chassis?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.