ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some Advice I have an 83 280zx 5speed just had the motor rebuilt bored out new flat tops, fuel injectors, headers, distributor cap, wires, plugs, valves seated, heads completely worked, new o2 sensor plus much more it is getting fire to all cylinders with good compression but it is running extremely rich almost as if you can smell raw gas from the exhaust. this was not a problem before the rebuild. it also lacks the power it had before all of the work was done,
looking for any suggestions..maybe where to get a larger diameter mass air flow unit or if more air flow will solve the problem? maybe a new pressure regulator?

PLEASE Help....

·
Registered
14 Posts
sorry I don't have an answer for you but I seem to be having similar symptoms. I have ben looking at my air flow meter, throttle valve. and air ragulator. if that helps.

good luck

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just had this exact problem on my '83. After checking every sensor and finding them all good, I was really scratching my head. It turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator, which had failed in a mode that raised the pressure up to twice what it was supposed to be. Consequently, each time an injector fired, it dumped twice as much gas into the cylinder. No wonder it smelled like raw gas in the exhaust!

So, see if you can get a pressure reading of the fuel rail and go from there.

Tom D.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.