ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a sudden problem develop that the car would idle kind of erratically and then when you push on the gas, it sputters and misses and belches out black smoke from the exhaust until the RPMs rise high enough to "clear things out" -- over 2K RPMs.

I put a reman'd AFM in and that seemed to take care of the problem. In fact, it hadn't run better.....

.....until today. I pulled off the Interstate at my exit for work and at the stop it hestitated and started pulling the same crap -- trying to die and then puking out black smoke until RPMs get high enough in each gear. As soon as I let off the gas to shift to the next gear and then push down on the gas to accelerate, it does the same thing.

Help me please! This is my daily driver now that spring is here (or at least close enough).

I'm stumped since the AFM "fixed" the problem for two days and now it is back.

Roger

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The connection at the AFM was clean.

Unsure about the O2 sensor. Hmmmm. I have none of my usual reference materials here at work obviously, but how do I check the O2 sensor?

Roger

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had a similar problem with a 5.0 I used to own. The puking and sputtering you're describing sounds like an injector problem to me. Mine turned out to be a cracked injector on #1. New Ford motors have this same problem occasionally also. It's usually an injector, but sometimes there is a problem with the #4 cylinder.

Hope you isolate the problem.

JB

·
Registered
104 Posts
i would say you have a massive vacumn leak, i had the same problem, check for all leaks around the intake tube to turbo and throttle connections, when these suck in unmetered air they tend to cause problems

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay. Now to make it real interesting.

I went out for lunch after the car sat for 2 hours, and it started and ran flawlessly. I stopped the car and bought a couple things, came back out and started it and it ran fine, but as I went to pull out of the parking lot, it started all over again. I nursed it back to near work where it died in the left turn lane and wouldn't restart. I was able to use the starter with it in gear and got it to finally fire and run rough (I know that's not good, but it's the only thing that would work). It died again once I was out of traffic. I unplugged the 02 sensor and it wouldn't start. Replugged in 02 sensor and it wouldn't start. I got it started by rolling it and popping the clutch and then once I raised the RPMs to "clear it out," it ran flawlessly.

What the (*#$^^@#%!Q is going on here? It first appeared to be linked to cold vs. hot, but now it's an intermittant thing.

Frustrating to say the least. Any help... and I mean any help is needed at this point. I know there has to be somebody out there that can figure this out.

I don't see or hear any major air leaks or don't hear any major sucking sound. But this intermittant part is really a puzzler.

Roger

·
Registered
362 Posts
Make sure the TPS is good and adjusted correctly. Check for air leaks. My car did something similar one time and believe it or not it was a battery connection. The auxillary wire was corroded to **** and so was the connection. I replaced the battery, connector, and some of the wire and ran flawlessly. The reason it causes this is the auxillary wire,(the smaller one), runs accessories such as the coil. So check that stuff out and see what develops. Also check for water in the fuel tank, and clogged fuel filter.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sounds like an injector that is not closing...leaking fuel into the intake. You need to be careful with this in that too much liquid gas in the intake can wash the oil off the cylinder walls and seize a ring...major problem.....could add some top lube to the gas along with some serious injector cleaner...see if this helps.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are all good suggestions that I'm gonna try. Gotta do something! I have already run a can of Sea Foam thru it, trying to clean things up.

I'll let y'all know how things shake out.

You guys are the best and I appreciate the help. I'm only 1 year into z31s so I'm learning bunches. I'm used the the s130s.

Roger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.