ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 280Z has just reacently started to run a bit hotter thatn it used to. i have had the car for a year and since i bought it, it always ran with the engine temp right in the middle, but the last thre days it ran verynoticably above normal, I just refilled the coolant, so whats the prob?

Also, why does my car buzz (same buzz as the seat belt warning) when i turn off the car and open driverside door?

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
If you just did a coolant refill, check for air in the system or an incomplete fill. Fill radiator, turn on heat controls to high and also fill the coolant overflow reservoir to about 1/2. Run the car and allow to warm up. I usually do this with the rad cap off to allow any air to escape, shut off, top off the rad and repeat. Then cap off the radiator after you have made sure it is full to the brim. Sometimes sitting on a bit of a hill with the nose higher than the tail will help with air getting to the rad and out. Might also want to check belts for tightness.

Buzzer just sounds like the 'you left the key in the ignition' warning buzzer. If you have removed the key, perhaps the lock mechanism/ key warning switch is stuck.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Get a meat cooking thermometer from a dollar store and put the tip in boiling water and note where it reads.

Now put it in your rad and bring the engine up to operating temperature then read the thermometer.

If it is the same temperature as the thermostat in the engine is rated for then check the connection on the Gauge Temperature Sending unit.

The sending unit may also be defective.

If the tank temperature is lower than the rating of the thermostat then the thermostat is probably not opening fully and your engine is overheating.

DO NOT use the thermometer for cooking afterwards.

Wayne Monteath
Masham, Quebec.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Worst case...

Probably t-stat. Aftermarket units are junk. OEM 180 degree F t-stat recommended.

If rad full, t-stat, fan belt, & sender ok, then you got real problem. Feel the upper radiator hose - you may be able to sense if temp is abnormally high. Test w/ thermometer is best.

Common Z problem is old head gasket allowing comb gasses into coolant. This creates deposits in the radiator and keep it from cooling effectively. Always refurbish radiator upon doing engine or head work. Common error is to put rebuilt engine in w/ old crusty radiator then trash new engine due to overheating.

Good luck!
Al

·
Registered
130 Posts
Re: Worst case...

I agree with AL269Z. Check your (3) thermo devices per the FSM: THermo-time, temp sensor and ECU sender. Check/replace thermostat and hoses, back flush the system.

My .02...........Cliff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.