ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All - just got thru reading an article about water injection in the Winter '06 Sport Z magazine. They chart out an N/A getting around 5 HP at the wheels with this mod (if I'm reading the power chart correctly).

Anyone out there disagree with this rule of thumb for NA's ? -- assume (conservatively) AT LEAST a 5 HP increase at the rear wheels for each of the following:

- Pop Charger + Catback lo-restrictive exhaust (maybe +5 hp for each -- but gut tells me that's too optimistic?)
- Underdrive Pulley
- Combo of light weight drive shaft + flywheel
- H2O injection
- Upgraded CPU (not sure this really cuts the 5HP rule for an NA?)

Trying to come up with some easy rule to remember when this question comes up?

PS - Intention was to talk about the more common bolt-on type upgrades.

Post Edited (Jan 25, 4:43pm)

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Going from first mod to last, i'd say intake and catback i'd say its a smidge more than 5whp. Than the pulley around the same, but the pulley really helps low end, a lot. ECU would have to get more than 5whp. I'm not sure, as i haven't really seen dyno charts stating the difference in each.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
wel any increase in flywheel hoop would have the same increase in rear wheel horsepower right? I'm pretty sure the intake/exhaust/ecu thing would open up at least 10hp. The lightweight driveline stuff would probably free up anothr 5hp or more. I think thats pretty conservative. I would say that stuff you described would be good for at least 20hp.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the flywheel -- you'd still have some efficiency losses thru the tranny, yes? Not a perfect input/output machine.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
but the loss should be relatively unchanged throughout the changes. so a 10hp increase at the flywheel still increases 10 at the wheels. That'd be like saying the more horsepower you make the more is loss through gearbox inefficiency. . .which doesn't occur.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That only works for perfect, frictionless machines. On something that has (as example) 5% loss (95% efficent) -- 10 hp in is 9.5 hp out. From Flywheel thru tranny thru diffy all contribute to some losses due to friction and this is demonstrated by heating.

I think what you are trying to say is that everything is proportional. Certain X% increase at crank yields same X% increase at wheels (over baseline starting point) -- yes, that would be true.

Post Edited (Jan 26, 5:55pm)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
H2O Injection? First time I've seen this listed as a beneficial mod. Anyone else believe in this one? I would say high flow cats would be a viable, affordable mod.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
so your point is....don't waste $1000+ on upgrades for your NA..it's not worth it. That's the motto I've been living by...that or lack of funds to throw into a car. i believe the latter. I've got a good 2 years left with my Z and then it's adios sportscar..hello SUV. If so happens I have the money in the future to buy something..I'll look at a turbo but for now I can live through my friend and his newly aquired 03 WRX. those things our cool and have some decent get up and go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.