ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I am driving down the road I see that the Rpms on my car will suddenly go up then down while my foot is still in the same place on the gas. My question is why does this happen. Also how do I know when I need new brakes. I have a '76

280Z.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
> While I am driving down the road I see that
> the Rpms on my car will suddenly go up then
> down while my foot is still in the same
> place on the gas. My question is why does
> this happen
Does it only happen when the car is cold and on cold mornings? Temperatures below 45°F? I had a similar problem with my '77. It went away when I replaced the battery cables. It is the result of corrosion build-up through-out the electrical system. I have recently been on a crusade to clean or replace every connector under the hood. It has done wonders.
. Also how do I know when I need
> new brakes. I have a '76
Hopefully you pull a wheel and look at them periodically. On the front disks you shuld look for wear rings on the front AND back of the rotors and at the pads to see how much material is left. In the rear you will have to pull the wheels and then the drums to look at the inside of the drum for scoring and the condition of the brake shoes. If they are getting thin, less than 1/8 material - replace the shoes/pads. Turn the drums/rotors whenever you replace the shoes/pads or you will get premature wear on the shoes/pads. Under normal driving a good brake job should be good for 60-100,000 miles.
Phantom.

> 280Z.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> While I am driving down the road I see that
> the Rpms on my car will suddenly go up then
> down while my foot is still in the same
> place on the gas. My question is why does
> this happen. Also how do I know when I need
> new brakes. I have a '76

> 280Z.

I had the same problem with my 79, check the connection on the ic ignition unit on the side of the distributer. Playing with the connection should help it, but I had replace the distributer to totally solve the problem.

Jared

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.