ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anytime I take my z31 out it ends up at 5000 RPM at least once.

My daily driver is a 1998 Buick Regal (3.8L V6 - 200HP). It also redlines at approximately 6000 RPM. Because it is has an automatic transmission and it is my daily driver I don't race it whatsoever. It never sees more than 3500 RPM (even that is under hard acceleration).

I have been told it is good to hit the higher RPM's once in a while to get the exhaust temperatures high enough to clear out carbon deposits.

Is this true and should I be running it a little high now and then?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Babying a car so much that you never take it above the low RPMS over time can be bad for the car, yes, but taking it to redline every day is also bad, find a medium.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Red!

With the Z - I've only red-lined it 4 times in 5 years. I do often take it to 5K however. With the Buick I just never lay into it enough for the auto tranny to hold past 3.5 K. My Z is unreliable enough without pushing my daily driver!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
I've redlined my NA every time I've taken her out over the past 4 years.

230k miles and not a hint of problems.

Oh yeah. And she puts 144 hp at the rear wheels down on the dyno. Not too bad for a 20 year old car that gets pushed.

But DO NOT (I repeat) DO NOT redline a car (any car) until it's been warmed up properly.

·
Registered
657 Posts
**** i find its easier to take my car well past 4500 than to just take her to 3500........... my car seems to smooth right out after 3300...... almost as smooth a an RX7

·
Registered
805 Posts
I took my AE to 5500 last week. About every two weeks I'll jump on her in second or third gear, run her up, just for the thrill and to make sure all is well. I also like to see that boost come up to 10 psi @ 5K or so.

Boo Hoo .... No more boost for me. Unless of course TT on the 350Z.

Funny thing is putting her on the trailer tonight I had to get the car over a lip and the turbo started to spool as I was slipping the clutch getting her on the trailer. I thought the new owner was going to say something like, "You were getting ready to launch her huh?" but he didn't. He had a pretty steep set up on that trailer. He said he used it to haul around his tractors and loaders.

Nice guy, after we loaded the car up we talked about all sorts of things for the next 2 1/2 hours.

Sorry, I know off topic .... just missing the AE already ....... :(

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mecinoid - I'd really miss my 85 if I ever had to let it go - even if I did have a nice looking 350Z!

red - Thanks - that makes me feel more comfortable on the whole subject. Don't want to feel like an abusive SOB when I take her up to 5500.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.