ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Here are the symptoms of the new problem that my car is having: if you press on the gas kind of hard when the engine is cold it will stop running on all cylinders, I think 1 or 2 cut out. If you back off the gas a little it will start running on all of them again. When the engine has warmed up the problem goes away completely. Its a 1980 ZX. The only thing I've replaced to fix this problem is the fuel filter. I have also replaced the pcv valve b/c it was old and I had the money to do it. The problem really started when it got really cold in the morning. I have checked the archives and couldn't find anything that helped. Any and all help is appreciated.

gzcna

· Registered
103 Posts
Nothing in the archives helped???? You searched for "cold start" on "all dates" (not just last 30 days) and found nothing that helped???? It's probably just a cold start injector problem. Search some more under other words.

· Registered
426 Posts
It's most likely the engine temperature sensor which richens the mixture when the engine is cold. The cold start valve only operates when starting; after startup, the temp sensor controls the mixture. First check for a bad connection, then the sensor itself.

Dave

· Registered
153 Posts
Dave has 50% of the answer and probably the correct one. The other item you need to check is the water temperature sensor.This allows the control unit to richen the mixture until the engine arrives at operating temperature.

If you don't have one already you should get the original factory service manual for your car. Without it your shootin in the dark.

zclock

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.