ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New problem has cropped up my 82 280zxt (5spd).

Engine cranks but starter kicks out before it fires enough to run. Fuel light is on. Sometimes if I hit the gas right when I crank it, it will start and run.

Problem seems to come when it's cold or has only been running 3-4 minutes.

Have replaced the following:

fuel filter (nissan)
plugs
wires
changed oil & filter (no leaks)

Not an urgent situation, as I have parked it for the winter to tinker on it once I get my garage cleaned up and organized.

Thanks in advance

Roger Bernard
1982 280 ZXT.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Roger-I had a similar problem with my '81. I had to "spin" it to a count of maybe 10 or so before it would grudgingly start. Then it would work its way up to an idle, beginning with just a few cylinders, then more until she was idling like she should.
After I installed a fuel pressure gauge, I noticed that my fuel pressure would drop to zero immediately after I turned off the car. A new fuel pump check valve and she fires right up :).
Before you rush out to buy the check valve tho, I'd suggest you get a fuel pressure gauge. I was able to buy a small 100 psi gauge and fitting from Jegs for less than $45 total including shipping. The gauge is installed in the line after the fuel filter and has been very useful.
Dan

·
Registered
103 Posts
Greydog, I have a similar problem with my '81 ZXT and do have a fuel pressure gauge on it. Goes to 40 psi during the 5 second "ignition on" period", then drops right back to zero if I don't go to the start position. I have strongly suspected the check valve as the problem, but it is my understanding that it is located in the fuel pump, near the outlet. Did you replace that part of the fuel pump, or did you purchase some type of inline check valve? Where did you get it? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine won't make the 10 second thing. It only goes 1-2 seconds and then the starter kicks back out. Almost like it fires but doesn't have enough to keep running.

Fuel pump buzzes when the key is turned on.

I'll try the fuel pressure check, but am suspecting the check valve.

Like I said, this isn't an immediate need. Heck I even had to steal the battery from it to get my truck (77 Dodge 4x4 extended cab w/8ft. bed) into the shop so it can be ready for winter. Of course, since I decided the park the Z it has been 65-70 here in Iowa. Wouldn't you know it....

Thanks for the ideas.

Roger

·
Registered
996 Posts
The check valve is the fitting that's threaded into the body of the fuel pump. The output fuel line clamps to it. The check valve looks like a simple hose barb when you remove the hose but if you look end of the fitting where the hose connects you should see a y-shaped metal pc in the end of the fitting (mine was hollow just like a regular hose fitting). I bought a new one from the local Nissan dealer (the number on the invoice is 17014-N4225) and installed it in place of the old one.
Presto! The car now holds fuel pressure within spec and starts much more easily.
Good luck, Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.