> MOTORSPORT AUTO has roller
> pilot bearings. How long do they
> last? I'm taking my tranny out next
> week to do replace the clutch.
> I already bought a clutch kit.
> Is it worth the few bucks?
> or should I use to the one
> in the kit?

I've seen these come apart in the Chevy world. The outside shell is a mutha to get out if the bearing shells. I wouldn't do it.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't do it unless you plan on having access to the bearing on a regular basis to lube it up....it is NOT a sealed bearing! Stay with the bushing.

> in the kit?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
> I wouldn't do it unless you plan on having
> access to the bearing on a regular basis to
> lube it up....it is NOT a sealed bearing!
> Stay with the bushing.

Just for the record I ordered one of the roller bearings from Motorsport Auto, but all I got was a regular bearing. I didn't worry about it because I know a standard one would work fine. the price was only about a dollar more, not even worth the phone call to tell them.
greg
71 240z

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
> in the kit?

I've used the roller ones for years and won't go back to the cheap one. I don't like them, the material is soft, they wear fast and can cause premature wear of the tranny's input shaft bearings. I'd go with one from Nissan Comp. though, I don't know who makes the one from Motorsport auto but I don't go cheap in that area. Once greased properly it will stay that way, there's really nothing to worry about it going anywhere. If it's not greased right then I can see why people have problems with them like any other type of bearing, ever try running a wheel bearing with little grease? :)
It's up to you though but they've been around many many years, preferred by perfectionists and performance minded people who know cars. I've been running one in my 280Z that was put in in 1983 and it's still working fine. I think the only time I'd not use one is if the tranny is in bad shape (bad input shaft bearing) but in any case that would be hard on anything you used. But really, I'd call up Nissan Motorsports and ask them about it. They should be able to give you the best informantion on this subject. Good luck which ever way to go....
Brandon...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.