ZCar Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's a horrible thing to happen to you - and your car. Not only that, but everyone who read your post will undoubtedly feel some degree of the violation to your life wrought by some nitwit. Further, they will likely remember it for a very long time, especially while at a similar intersection - and that's a good thing.

I always find myself wondering what was going through the mind of the offender moments beforehand. Stoned, stupid, drunk, texting, planning dinner??? Who the h knows. It's especially likely she'll never utter a word about it. Even if she did, it won't change anything, but maybe it'd be worth adding to one's personal safe-driving database.

Best wishes to you for your future driving experiences - hopefully to include another Z.
My one owner (was) original 280ZX took in the rear by a guy in a pickup pulling a trailer to pickup a 69 Camaro that he just bought. He did angle to just get one corner but never went wanted to go off the road because there was a considerable drop and he had borrowed the pickup from a friend. Luckily not much damage to the car but I can no longer say it never has been wrecked. So I know what your are feeling in a lesser way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It has taken me while to be able to sit down and write this because of the emotions involved. I bought this car in 1999 and have been through a lot with her. My 1975 280Z was destroyed a few weeks ago by a lady running a red light. I am usually pretty careful at intersections to watch for that person who might run their red light when mine turns to green. But this time I didn’t, or maybe I couldn’t even see due to being under a bridge. I was on the side road going under a major freeway here in Dallas. I was on Royal Lane crossing under Central Express way (major intersection all 3 lanes all the way around). I was accelerating from a green light to go under Central Expressway and of course both lights were green for me. So I was good to go – split second later an SUV was in front of me and I didn’t even have time to get my foot off the gas. I T-boned her doing maybe 25 or so. Luckily it wasn’t faster. My car spun 90 degrees and when I came to, she was in front of me about 100 yards down the road… upside down. Luckily two very kind and generous souls saw it all and I have their info to help me out. Police even told me I was totally in the clear, it was her fault…. B____!

I’ve tried to attach some photos to show the sadness. People I talk to frequently say, “you don’t see many of these anymore”. And this what is hard, another has gone to rest and I am so sad for that. She was a beautiful car.

I have just hired an attorney so we will see how that goes.

Not sure what I will do, replace her or not. They are getting hard to find. And yes, I am open for considerations. But nothing will replace the sentimental value of this care.

I am looking for the right replacement, if that can happen. View attachment 109899
It's a horrible thing to happen to you - and your car. Not only that, but everyone who read your post will undoubtedly feel some degree of the violation to your life wrought by some nitwit. Further, they will likely remember it for a very long time, especially while at a similar intersection - and that's a good thing.

I always find myself wondering what was going through the mind of the offender moments beforehand. Stoned, stupid, drunk, texting, planning dinner??? Who the h knows. It's especially likely she'll never utter a word about it. Even if she did, it won't change anything, but maybe it'd be worth adding to one's personal safe-driving database.

Best wishes to you for your future driving experiences - hopefully to include another Z.
To GT75Z...I've read all of your replies, great group of members. Joined along time ago, but among moving and many other things later,... we moved to NC. I have a 1976 280Z
It has taken me while to be able to sit down and write this because of the emotions involved. I bought this car in 1999 and have been through a lot with her. My 1975 280Z was destroyed a few weeks ago by a lady running a red light. I am usually pretty careful at intersections to watch for that person who might run their red light when mine turns to green. But this time I didn’t, or maybe I couldn’t even see due to being under a bridge. I was on the side road going under a major freeway here in Dallas. I was on Royal Lane crossing under Central Express way (major intersection all 3 lanes all the way around). I was accelerating from a green light to go under Central Expressway and of course both lights were green for me. So I was good to go – split second later an SUV was in front of me and I didn’t even have time to get my foot off the gas. I T-boned her doing maybe 25 or so. Luckily it wasn’t faster. My car spun 90 degrees and when I came to, she was in front of me about 100 yards down the road… upside down. Luckily two very kind and generous souls saw it all and I have their info to help me out. Police even told me I was totally in the clear, it was her fault…. B____!

I’ve tried to attach some photos to show the sadness. People I talk to frequently say, “you don’t see many of these anymore”. And this what is hard, another has gone to rest and I am so sad for that. She was a beautiful car.

I have just hired an attorney so we will see how that goes.

Not sure what I will do, replace her or not. They are getting hard to find. And yes, I am open for considerations. But nothing will replace the sentimental value of this care.

I am looking for the right replacement, if that can happen. View attachment 109899 View attachment 109900
To GT75Z,...I've read all the replies and we have a great group of members. Long story, but we moved to NC 4 years ago. Have a 1976 280Z that I also have put a long time into, looks close to yours (before the wreck), same wheels and the engine looks as good as the car. At present I need to replace the clutch master cylinder and slave, but were presently visiting in Chicago with grand kids. Been thinking of selling because I'm at that point of "slimming down" my projects. Had my 75th last year and neither of our 2 children are in a position of taking care of the car. Can't tell you much other than that for now, but will be back home next week if you may be interested..... Greg T.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm so sorry for you, I know the pain. I have had Corvettes and other semi exotic cars, and to be honest, when driving these days, you have to have 50 eyes in your head. Kids, women on the Go(8Dam& cellphones, and men too. But if I pulled to the curb once because the idiot in back of me started to give me the willies with cutting in and out or just stupid antics, I've pulled to the curb 100 times. But when i leave my garage, I fully expect to return, with my car. That's how I look at it. There was a time when common sense and just a touch of respect was out there with you. . . but them days are gone. This women who decided to fabricate her own driving rules is most likely out as we speak signing the papers on a new 2-3 ton SUV to go out and do battle with some unbeknownst poor soul soon to be in an accident he or she doesn't even know their in store for. In Europe, you drink and drive, you lose your drivers license for 2 years. You do it again you lose it for 5 years, the 3rd time you on public transport permanently. That's just how it works, their all on little tiny roads and if your going to be an a&7h&^% your not going to be driving long. but in Europe they tend to take driving more seriously than here. Here you have a right people think to drive, and I have had people I stopped tell me it's their right.. . No It's Not. In ever state in America, you earn the Privilege to drive and that Privilege can be taken away just as easily. At some point down the road 'No pun intended' it going to get that way here, but more over out of the rights to prevent any more death than driver improvement. But sit back and just look innocently and I think you'll stumble across another Z, sometimes these cars reach out looking for a "Good" owner. I just found my 75Z a few weeks ago and all the time I didn't think it was going to pan out as good as it did. Just keep looking, you'll find what your interested in. But next time your out on the road, think not only for yourself, but for the a&7Ho$# all around you, and it doesn't hurt to just pull off the road to escape idiocy in motion all around you. ;)
Thank you Tango! Yes I hope another car finds me, and I believe in the way you are thinking about that. Yes, I wish somehow people here in the states can learn to appreciate what taking away other peoples lives means. I really don't think they do by the way I see so many people driving.
So you just bought a 75? If you don't mind, could you tell me what you paid and maybe do you have a pic you could share. Way to go on that!
Thank you for sharing,
GT75Z

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
@GT75Z I'm sorry to hear that you were hospitalized! I'm very glad you're out and functional.

This is a very bad news deal, but you're still with us. I wish you well with your next steps.
Thanks Pilgrim,
Yes, I have had numerous hospital visits in my life and this was the worst.
I dang near had to break out of there.
Arghhhhh,
GT75Z

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
First and foremost I’m glad your ok and you were able to walk away from this. I’m so sorry this happened to you and I have this fear every time I pull mine out for a drive. It’s pictures like that that keep me up at night, I agree with everyone else when I say it kills me to see a Z that has been lost. I hope the insurance gets worked out and your able to find another one and keep being able to enjoy owning/driving a Z!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Oilking, I appreciate it. It has always been a fear to me when I take the Z out but I never thought this would happen. Z's are too precious to lose in this way. I just hope there is some restitution.
I have hired an attorney and we will go after it the best we can.
But it does suck!
GT75Z

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So glad you are ok. I worry everytime I drive my 240 now. Last year a lady pulled out in front of me at an intersection. I was going 40mph and had no way to stop, Luckily there was no one in the oncoming lane to my left and I swerved and braked to a stop. It would have been awful. The scariest part is my 7 year old son was sitting next to me! It happened so fast.
My little boy loves to ride in the car, but I am a nervous wreck when we get near traffic now.
Accidents happen, but more and more are caused by inattentiveness and plain stupidity.
I’ve had this 240 since 1991. If I lost it due to someone’s negligence I’d freak out. I feel your pain. It is replaceable, but then it really isn’t.
So sorry.
So glad you are ok. I worry everytime I drive my 240 now. Last year a lady pulled out in front of me at an intersection. I was going 40mph and had no way to stop, Luckily there was no one in the oncoming lane to my left and I swerved and braked to a stop. It would have been awful. The scariest part is my 7 year old son was sitting next to me! It happened so fast.
My little boy loves to ride in the car, but I am a nervous wreck when we get near traffic now.
Accidents happen, but more and more are caused by inattentiveness and plain stupidity.
I’ve had this 240 since 1991. If I lost it due to someone’s negligence I’d freak out. I feel your pain. It is replaceable, but then it really isn’t.
So sorry.
Hi Zbartsky,
I have witnessed so many cars (aholes) blowing through red lights that I am amazed. I try to watch for them at every intersection, especially the 6 lane all around ones. Here, I was under a major highway bridge here in Dallas and I could not see what might be coming in the intersection I was approaching. I kick myself in the butt for not seeing this one but I honestly don't think I could have.
Stay safe!
GT75Z

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
GT,

I see many have talked about your safety and that of the other driver, which I neglected to mention when I should have. So, I would also like to say that I am glad that no one was seriously hurt in this accident. You lost your car, but it could've been a whole lot worse. Human life is worth more than a car ever will. But I still think this whole thing sucks 😢

You know, I have been in several vehicle accidents.... over the past 20 years. some my fault, some not, some totally out of my control. In 2002, I was in my ex-wife's nissan sentra and some gal ran a stop sign and slammed me into a big tree and some other truck also at the intersection. I was taking my step-daughters to school that morning. I had considered taking my 280zx that morning, but for some reason decided to take the other car..... better for the girls in that case. I would've taken the same exact route that I always took, probably would've still been hit, my Z wrecked, and my daughter hurt. Luckliy we had dropped off the younger one before the wreck. Even though the sentra was totaled, we walked away. The gal in the other car was taken by ambulance. No matter what cars are involved, accidents always suck.

I was going to tell you, if you're not sure about what you can do with your car, or what's left of it... you could get in touch with any local Z car clubs in your area. Where are you located?
If you have some clubs close, those guys may be able to help you out, maybe even get you in the direction of another car.

Bon
Hi Bon,
Yes, I am a member of the Z club of Texas and I will be reaching out to them soon. My family in for the holidays just left :cry: and I am catching up with you guys and an email/post to the Z club is my next step before settling down.
Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and understanding. I am lucky to be a part of this forum and as I have said before, I have met some great people here and ALL of the help this forum has given me is priceless.
✌ GT75Z

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
She is at fault. The only questions are how much her insurance carrier will pay you and how much you will have to pay to buy the car back as scrap.

Technically the other driver has to make you whole and she has insurance to indemnify her. Haw much you insured the car for is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the market value immediately before the wreck.

Set about looking for comparable cars that have sold recently. Look at auction sites like bat, eBay etc. Also, document what you have done to the car. Count the cost of labor not just the parts.
Yes Junkman, my goal is to be made whole and if possible, plus some. I am so mortified by this ladies total negligence that it blows my mind.
GT75Z

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Glad you were not injured.
Sorry about your car. It was really nice. :cry:
I sold my 75 a few years back. Wish I had kept it.
I hope you are able to find a suitable replacement.
View attachment 109908
Barry, can you give me any info as to what you sold your Z for? I am looking for anything that I can use to show what the market value of these cars are worth.
Yep, not sure you should have sold that, it is pretty.
Thanks, GT75Z

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure you saw this.....To GT75Z,...I've read all the replies and we have a great group of members. Long story, but we moved to NC 4 years ago. Have a 1976 280Z that I also have put a long time into, looks close to yours (before the wreck), same wheels and the engine looks as good as the car. At present I need to replace the clutch master cylinder and slave, but were presently visiting in Chicago with grand kids. Been thinking of selling because I'm at that point of "slimming down" my projects. Had my 75th last year and neither of our 2 children are in a position of taking care of the car. Can't tell you much other than that for now, but will be back home next week if you may be interested..... Greg T.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hi tokanoa1, I thought I had responded earlier but none the less, yes I would be interested in your car. Please give me a call (972.898.6201) and/or send me some pics and we can go from there. I am 68 and not wanting to do a lot of work on the car anymore. That is what is sad, I had mine in really good shape and should have been able to drive it with no issues for quite some time. I don't really want to drop the tranny and do a clutch job at this point but we can probably figure out a way. Thank you for reaching out again. I hope you had a good time with your kiddos in Chicago, I had my kids join us for a while (they are in Atlanta) and it was quite nice.
Happy New Year,
GT75Z

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I feel your pain bro. Back in 2014 a lady in front braked too late and wrecked and then I hit her. It SUCKS!!!
It does suck. Terribly. When you're out on the road these days, you just don't know what these dumb driving knuckle-heads are up to. You can control your own driving, but you can't control the moron in front of you nor the idiot behind you. Then you got the clowns at the intersections and who's to say they are even paying attention... I'm scared as h*ll now days. Everytime I jump in the Z cockpit, I always have it in my mind that it might be my last ride.

Bon

Reactions: Oilking53

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thank God, you and the others involved are not detrimentally affected, my humble thoughts go out to you, I can understand the longing you express .... stay safe and be blessed. 🙏

21 - 35 of 35 Posts