ZCar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has taken me while to be able to sit down and write this because of the emotions involved. I bought this car in 1999 and have been through a lot with her. My 1975 280Z was destroyed a few weeks ago by a lady running a red light. I am usually pretty careful at intersections to watch for that person who might run their red light when mine turns to green. But this time I didn’t, or maybe I couldn’t even see due to being under a bridge. I was on the side road going under a major freeway here in Dallas. I was on Royal Lane crossing under Central Express way (major intersection all 3 lanes all the way around). I was accelerating from a green light to go under Central Expressway and of course both lights were green for me. So I was good to go – split second later an SUV was in front of me and I didn’t even have time to get my foot off the gas. I T-boned her doing maybe 25 or so. Luckily it wasn’t faster. My car spun 90 degrees and when I came to, she was in front of me about 100 yards down the road… upside down. Luckily two very kind and generous souls saw it all and I have their info to help me out. Police even told me I was totally in the clear, it was her fault…. B____!

I’ve tried to attach some photos to show the sadness. People I talk to frequently say, “you don’t see many of these anymore”. And this what is hard, another has gone to rest and I am so sad for that. She was a beautiful car.

I have just hired an attorney so we will see how that goes.

Not sure what I will do, replace her or not. They are getting hard to find. And yes, I am open for considerations. But nothing will replace the sentimental value of this care.

I am looking for the right replacement, if that can happen.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle
Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
:oops::cry::confused::(

Aw man..... I hate it when this happens. I always dread it. I'm sorry brother that this has happen to you and your Z.
Why do I have the sneaky suspicion that the lady was focusing on her d*mn phone instead of her d*mn car!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: perhaps this may not be the case, but nonetheless grrrrrr....
When I was home last month, I couldn't believe how many dumb stupid selfish futher-muckers were driving around with their eyeballs glued to their phones... never have I seen it this bad.
Dude, this sucks... this sucks so bad. Terrible day for the Z community. Anytime a Z is wrecked, rusted, chopped up, crushed, burned, destroyed, or simply neglected... Just hurts to my core.
And seeing this... really hurts me to my core. Really sorry man.

New cars are expendable and replaceable. Z cars are expendable and not replaceable :confused:

You're not totally done for though.... your car, heart, and soul may be crushed, but you still have a car that has all its parts. parts that you can use, or perhaps others could use.
I would consider keeping it, and either removing everything and putting it towards another Z, spare parts or rebuild maybe, or selling the parts to other Z owners in need.

You know, I've had dreams sometimes of my Z or Z's getting wrecked or destroyed.. and I always wake up sad, even when I realize it was just a dream.... but I can't even imagine how I would feel in real life if it happened to me. I know I would cry. and it would totally suck.

Don't let this incident detour you from the joy of having a Z. You can get another. may not be the same, but you can still keep it going.

Hang in there, dude.

Bon

Reactions: Oilking53

·
Registered
300 Posts
The post above sums it up for me too.
My worst fear realized. Thankfully it was not me.

Of course the main thing is apparently there were no serious injuries.

I've owned my 240Z since 1987, and the worast thing that's happened to it was an idiot at Cars and Coffee backing into it, causing minor damage, and two different tire shops damaging the fenders.

The picture above would leave me devastated, if it were my car.

Best of luck in whatever you do going forward. My sympathies to the OP.

Reactions: bonfire79

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,004 Posts
That's very major damage! The most important thing is that no one was seriously injured.

Were you insured on a declared value through Hagerty or another collector car company? I think I see around $20K damage if it's restorable. If you have an attorney I assume you want to discuss damages to restore the car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you folks. This feels like nothing less than a funeral. And yes Bonfire, I am still hoping I wake up from this dream/nightmare. Yes, I am dang sure she was on her phone or looking at her fingernails which she just got done - obviously in la la land when suddenly her whole world was turned upside down, literally - and mine too. I'm too old to start another project, I truly had just gotten this one to where I wanted it.
Yeah she has lots of good parts left but I am not sure who is going to get them. I am going down to the salvage yard where she is at this week and get momentos. I am not sure how the insurance settlement is going to go. I don't really have a place to keep a wrecked car much less try and take apart what I have put together for all these years.
I just want another car, I'll let the memories osmosisly sink into another car. It's going to take time. I see two 280's just at a quick glance but they are 2+2's. My first Z was a 2+2 cause I had a big dog. I'd rather not go the 2+2 route.

Thank you to ZCar.com and you guys that have given me so much support over the last 22 years. I could not have done it without you. Blessings to all of you!
GT75Z 😔 ✌

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Pilgrim, very major damage and it is declared a total loss. I had my car insured through Hagerty at $14,000 probably 5 years ago. And I just have not thought to raise the value each year. I believe her value now would be around $30,000. You know, if I had wrapped my car around a tree, I would accept the fact that I was under insured and would take the $14K. But since it was someone else's fault, I think the true value of the car should be considered. ****, I could have not had any collision on my car whatsoever and still, if someone wrecks it, they should be liable for replacing my car.
I have talked with a few attorneys and non of them care about property damage. They don't make money on that. It is all about personal injury. Sure the attorney I have hired will get the most we can for the car but we will be going after personal injury and hopefully that will make me happy enough. We should get the money no matter what you want to call it. I was hospitalized for 4 days and I am still seeking treatment. So we will see where that goes.
BUT YES, I can be thankful first off that I was not killed in the accident. I was not hurt that badly physically. I have no word on the lady who caused the accident. All I know is that she was taken straight to the hospital.
I would like to say to the awesomeness of the Z car, I was not hurt that badly physically. I wrecked our Hyundai Tucson a few years back and had bruises all over from the seat/shoulder straps, air bag etc...
I was much less injured physically from the Z car crash. Guys, the Z cars are frigging awesome cars and I love the **** out of them.
The pic is of my car on the tow truck, in background you can see the car I hit...upside down.
Automotive parking light Car Tire Wheel Vehicle
ground

Thank you all!

·
Registered
1975 280Z 2+2
53 Posts
I'm so sorry for you, I know the pain. I have had Corvettes and other semi exotic cars, and to be honest, when driving these days, you have to have 50 eyes in your head. Kids, women on the Go(8Dam& cellphones, and men too. But if I pulled to the curb once because the idiot in back of me started to give me the willies with cutting in and out or just stupid antics, I've pulled to the curb 100 times. But when i leave my garage, I fully expect to return, with my car. That's how I look at it. There was a time when common sense and just a touch of respect was out there with you. . . but them days are gone. This women who decided to fabricate her own driving rules is most likely out as we speak signing the papers on a new 2-3 ton SUV to go out and do battle with some unbeknownst poor soul soon to be in an accident he or she doesn't even know their in store for. In Europe, you drink and drive, you lose your drivers license for 2 years. You do it again you lose it for 5 years, the 3rd time you on public transport permanently. That's just how it works, their all on little tiny roads and if your going to be an a&7h&^% your not going to be driving long. but in Europe they tend to take driving more seriously than here. Here you have a right people think to drive, and I have had people I stopped tell me it's their right.. . No It's Not. In ever state in America, you earn the Privilege to drive and that Privilege can be taken away just as easily. At some point down the road 'No pun intended' it going to get that way here, but more over out of the rights to prevent any more death than driver improvement. But sit back and just look innocently and I think you'll stumble across another Z, sometimes these cars reach out looking for a "Good" owner. I just found my 75Z a few weeks ago and all the time I didn't think it was going to pan out as good as it did. Just keep looking, you'll find what your interested in. But next time your out on the road, think not only for yourself, but for the a&7Ho$# all around you, and it doesn't hurt to just pull off the road to escape idiocy in motion all around you. ;)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
So sorry for your loss.
Glad you are okay.
I got chicken and decided not to take my Z out the last week before Christmas.
People were getting crazy!
Good call!

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,004 Posts
@GT75Z I'm sorry to hear that you were hospitalized! I'm very glad you're out and functional.

This is a very bad news deal, but you're still with us. I wish you well with your next steps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
GT,

I see many have talked about your safety and that of the other driver, which I neglected to mention when I should have. So, I would also like to say that I am glad that no one was seriously hurt in this accident. You lost your car, but it could've been a whole lot worse. Human life is worth more than a car ever will. But I still think this whole thing sucks 😢

You know, I have been in several vehicle accidents.... over the past 20 years. some my fault, some not, some totally out of my control. In 2002, I was in my ex-wife's nissan sentra and some gal ran a stop sign and slammed me into a big tree and some other truck also at the intersection. I was taking my step-daughters to school that morning. I had considered taking my 280zx that morning, but for some reason decided to take the other car..... better for the girls in that case. I would've taken the same exact route that I always took, probably would've still been hit, my Z wrecked, and my daughter hurt. Luckliy we had dropped off the younger one before the wreck. Even though the sentra was totaled, we walked away. The gal in the other car was taken by ambulance. No matter what cars are involved, accidents always suck.

I was going to tell you, if you're not sure about what you can do with your car, or what's left of it... you could get in touch with any local Z car clubs in your area. Where are you located?
If you have some clubs close, those guys may be able to help you out, maybe even get you in the direction of another car.

Bon

·
Registered
300 Posts
As for insurance, my question is:
If you have a stated value policy with Hagerty for example (as I do for 2 cars: '71 240Z at $24,000 and '95 300ZX TT at $22,000), and the car is totalled as in this case, and the other driver is at fault, will Hagerty make up any difference in payout to get to the stated value on their policy? In other words, if the other driver's State Farm or whoever only pays out $5,000, will Hagerty kick in the other $9,000? I'd never thought about this before.

·
Registered
19 Posts
First and foremost I’m glad your ok and you were able to walk away from this. I’m so sorry this happened to you and I have this fear every time I pull mine out for a drive. It’s pictures like that that keep me up at night, I agree with everyone else when I say it kills me to see a Z that has been lost. I hope the insurance gets worked out and your able to find another one and keep being able to enjoy owning/driving a Z!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
300 Posts
As for insurance, my question is:
If you have a stated value policy with Hagerty for example (as I do for 2 cars: '71 240Z at $24,000 and '95 300ZX TT at $22,000), and the car is totalled as in this case, and the other driver is at fault, will Hagerty make up any difference in payout to get to the stated value on their policy? In other words, if the other driver's State Farm or whoever only pays out $5,000, will Hagerty kick in the other $9,000? I'd never thought about this before.
I spoke with my agent.

If the other company only gives you "book value" in my example, Hagerty would make make up the difference, and then they would go after the other company to try for reimbursement. So you would get your "stated agreed value", but probably not all from the "other" insurer.

Reactions: pilgrim

·
Registered
604 Posts
So glad you are ok. I worry everytime I drive my 240 now. Last year a lady pulled out in front of me at an intersection. I was going 40mph and had no way to stop, Luckily there was no one in the oncoming lane to my left and I swerved and braked to a stop. It would have been awful. The scariest part is my 7 year old son was sitting next to me! It happened so fast.
My little boy loves to ride in the car, but I am a nervous wreck when we get near traffic now.
Accidents happen, but more and more are caused by inattentiveness and plain stupidity.
I’ve had this 240 since 1991. If I lost it due to someone’s negligence I’d freak out. I feel your pain. It is replaceable, but then it really isn’t.
So sorry.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
It has taken me while to be able to sit down and write this because of the emotions involved. I bought this car in 1999 and have been through a lot with her. My 1975 280Z was destroyed a few weeks ago by a lady running a red light. I am usually pretty careful at intersections to watch for that person who might run their red light when mine turns to green. But this time I didn’t, or maybe I couldn’t even see due to being under a bridge. I was on the side road going under a major freeway here in Dallas. I was on Royal Lane crossing under Central Express way (major intersection all 3 lanes all the way around). I was accelerating from a green light to go under Central Expressway and of course both lights were green for me. So I was good to go – split second later an SUV was in front of me and I didn’t even have time to get my foot off the gas. I T-boned her doing maybe 25 or so. Luckily it wasn’t faster. My car spun 90 degrees and when I came to, she was in front of me about 100 yards down the road… upside down. Luckily two very kind and generous souls saw it all and I have their info to help me out. Police even told me I was totally in the clear, it was her fault…. B____!

I’ve tried to attach some photos to show the sadness. People I talk to frequently say, “you don’t see many of these anymore”. And this what is hard, another has gone to rest and I am so sad for that. She was a beautiful car.

I have just hired an attorney so we will see how that goes.

Not sure what I will do, replace her or not. They are getting hard to find. And yes, I am open for considerations. But nothing will replace the sentimental value of this care.

I am looking for the right replacement, if that can happen. View attachment 109899 View attachment 109900
She is at fault. The only questions are how much her insurance carrier will pay you and how much you will have to pay to buy the car back as scrap.

Technically the other driver has to make you whole and she has insurance to indemnify her. Haw much you insured the car for is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the market value immediately before the wreck.

Set about looking for comparable cars that have sold recently. Look at auction sites like bat, eBay etc. Also, document what you have done to the car. Count the cost of labor not just the parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad you were not injured.
Sorry about your car. It was really nice. :cry:
I sold my 75 a few years back. Wish I had kept it.
I hope you are able to find a suitable replacement.
Automotive parking light Car Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Glad you were not injured.
Sorry about your car. It was really nice. :cry:
I sold my 75 a few years back. Wish I had kept it.
I hope you are able to find a suitable replacement.
View attachment 109908
I wish you would've kept it too. Pretty Z, even in the 70's metallic brown. :D

Reactions: Barry G

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a horrible thing to happen to you - and your car. Not only that, but everyone who read your post will undoubtedly feel some degree of the violation to your life wrought by some nitwit. Further, they will likely remember it for a very long time, especially while at a similar intersection - and that's a good thing.

I always find myself wondering what was going through the mind of the offender moments beforehand. Stoned, stupid, drunk, texting, planning dinner??? Who the h knows. It's especially likely she'll never utter a word about it. Even if she did, it won't change anything, but maybe it'd be worth adding to one's personal safe-driving database.

Best wishes to you for your future driving experiences - hopefully to include another Z.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts