ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 78 280Z with original 14 rims, would like to buy new rims, preferably 16 or 17. Is this possible? Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
15 rims off of a 280zx will fit, or motorsports offers a set of 16 panasports $$$. Aftermarket makers don't offer much on the low $ end. Bolt pattern isn't the prob. it the zero offset.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> Have a 78 280Z with original 14 rims,
> would like to buy new rims, preferably
> 16 or 17. Is this possible? Any
> info is appreciated.
With an effort to keep our 5 240z's in the family
mostly Nissan, I have installed 81-83 280zx turbo
15 wheels. They fit perfect, have a more full look, and say Z on the center cap. They are usually 200.00 per set at our yard, and i know we have some at this time if you are interested.
Thanks, joe
1-800-533-5659

·
Registered
26 Posts
> info is appreciated.
I put 15x7 rims with 225/50 on my 83. I would rather have gotten 16 because they look kind of small but $200 for all four rims was kind of hard to pass up. 225's are about as wide as you can go without hitting something when you turn, unless of course you modify the fender. these tires come right to the edge of the fender when viewed from top or front. Perfect for what I wanted. A very strong muscular look. Finding 16 or 17 inch rims in the correct offset will be very difficult, unless you stick with an older design. Most rims made these days are front wheel drive offsets. They will not work on 70 to 83 Zs.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Centerline Trident II's

> info is appreciated.

Ken,
I drive a '77 280Z. I went to Discount Tire and bought a set of Centerline Trident II 16x7 wheels with a 0 offset in my lug pattern for $800. YOu can also get them in 17 for your lug pattern and offset. They will have to order them and it will take about 4 weeks to come in. They are a two piece aluminum wheel and nicely done. Any shop that sells wheels should have a Centerline Catalog. If you can't find a store look up Centerline on the web and go to them for your closest dealers.
For your car you can run the 16x7 wheels with 205/55-16's and a 0 offset( or 3 1/2 backspacing) or 225/50-16's with 3 1/2 or 3 5/8 backspacing. The extra 1/8 on the
3 5/8 will keep the tires from rubbing against your rear fender wells and will still clear your suspension. Mine are backspaced 3 1/2 and occaisonally will touch my rear fender well on a hard bump. I could grind 1/16 off the inner lip of the fender well and cure it but so far the hassle isn't worth it.
Also, 17x7 wheels will fit with 225/40-17's. Same backspacing as above. These diameters and profiles will just fit under your fender well, will be able to be rotated to all four corners, and will have minimal or no impact on your speedometer accuracy.
Oh yes, I put Dunlop 225HR50-16's on my car. I went for the H rating for the improved handling, heat rejection, and most of all - I got 4 of them, mounted, balanced, and warranteed for $500.
Hope this helps.
Phantom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.