ZCar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
It would help if you'd put the year of your z in your post. At least you put in that it's a 280 Z. What year is it?
It's rare for the 280 door latches to go bad of either model. By the way there are 2 different models for the 280 z. The 75-76 is one style and the 77-78 is the other. Typically what I"ve found, especially on the 77-78 is the factory grease has hardened and it stiffens up the locking tab so it won't fall down into place when the latch closes. This makes the door not close all the way and it will fly open. Usually to cure that problem you need to clean out the old grease with solvent or carb cleaner, then lube it up with a good quality lube like Zep 45 or Muscle 10 spray, or synthetic grease. NEVER use spray grease on any door mechanism, the stuff is pure #[email protected]%. Z man of Washington

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello,

thanks for the replies. It's a 76 280Z. The problem is exactly what you described, the door fly back open and it's quite impossible to close. The locking tab is not working properly and it seems that you need to go further than on the other door. I will try to clean it. I was unable to find the part anywhere, including zcarsource.

Thierry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts