ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I've got an 83zx non-turbo that runs at full power for about a second then hesitates and sputters for a second, at all speeds, all the time. It does not do this at full throttle but at all others. Recent tune up just highlighted the problem even more. I'm guessing it's a throttle valve switch or distributor or ECU or cat. converter but I'm only guessing. I would really appreciate any input on this problem and will happily share the outcome with everyone. Tom.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey Tom,
I would leave to guess with the AFM. The TPS only reads at closed or open throttle and everything in between is done via the AFM. There are ohm meter readings that should be posted in a Haynes manual. I would suggest checking thiws unit first since a rebuilt unit is costly. The Throttle position sensor can also be checked with an ohm meter. Timing would not be the problem from what you stated as your symptoms. Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Improper adjustment on the Throttle position switch on my '83 gave me exactly the same symptoms. I can't remember why this is at the moment... but when I followed the adjustment procedure (6 mos ago) in the Haynes manual the problem went away and has not returned.

Adjustment on this is very fine as you place a 0.012 feeler gauge in between the trottle stop and throttle shaft and the switch should be open. With the feeler gauge removed the switch should be closed. (that is between the low end contacts). The process is described in the Haynes manual. You can do it without disassembling anything but it's really tricky to get the feeler gauge in where it needs to go. You'll need a feeler gauge that is no more than about 3/16 wide.

BTW, my TPS tested bad on the high contacts but I had no problem until I fiddled with the adjustment. As soon as I re-adjusted it correctly it ran fine. I replaced the TPS (about $30 from Nissanautoparts.com) set the adjustement and have had no further problems.

Good Luck!
Bob A.

> Hello everybody. I've got an 83zx non-turbo
> that runs at full power for about a second
> then hesitates and sputters for a second, at
> all speeds, all the time. It does not do
> this at full throttle but at all others.
> Recent tune up just highlighted the problem
> even more. I'm guessing it's a throttle
> valve switch or distributor or ECU or cat.
> converter but I'm only guessing. I would
> really appreciate any input on this problem
> and will happily share the outcome with
> everyone. Tom.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tom,
I would agree with 81 Turbo. I have an 83 ZXT that exhibited the same symptons, though not as badly as you describe. I got a rebuilt Air Flow Meter from Motorsport Auto and it cured the problem. You may be able to find one cheaper than I did, but that does sound like what's going on.
Rock

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.