ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Revive a 280zx

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Roschili 
#1 ·
I'm on my way this weekend to pick up a 280zx parts car. Car was 'Running strong' when parked (I don't know how long ago). The plan is to try and get it running and drive it home just because it would be easier than towing. I need need to get it about 20km.
Anything special to look for on these cars if it wont start? I'm going to give it fresh gas and a fresh battery. It will also probably be decently cold out. It's been about -20degC for a while. Is this going to cause issues (I'll figure something out to warm up the oil/block since I doubt it has a block heater).

Thanks,

#2 ·
You may consider changing the fuel filter, a new one might filter any nasty old fuel that might still be in there a little better for your short trip. I can't really offer any advice on the cold oil situation. Maybe consider disconnecting the coil from the distributer once you get the oil warm, and cranking it a little to get the oil flowing around the engine before actually attempting to start it. Also make sure you check the oil level and coolant.

#3 ·
I'd respond, but most of your post is covered by an 'ads by google' banner about asking a datsun mechanic now, e-bay motors official site, and national cylinder head. In fact, my posting box is being obscured by another floater pay the owners ad for national cylinder head, datsun hose, car battery prices, and the nissan 2010 clearance. so hopefully someone has more patience with these ads than I, and clicks on them to pay the man and then responds. for me, I'm out of space now, running up against that ads by google 2nd floater....

#4 ·
They all ran strong when they were parked. I would find out when it was parked. There are a surprising number of cars out there that were parked over 10 years ago. More than one year and you could have fuel or electrical connection corrosion issues. After a year or more, the clutch and brake cylinders tend to corrode so they might not work. So even if it starts, it might not be drivable. Ask the guy if the clutch and brakes work, before you go out.

-20 C? km? Canada? That's below zero even down here! If you decide to try it take some starting fluid. You can spray a shot through a vacuum port in to the manifold, although you might break the line in the frigid cold. You know these are fuel injected right? No looking down the carb throat to see if it's getting gas.

Also, search the words "won't start" in the 70-83 forum and browse through the 34 pages of results.

Good luck, it should be an adventure.

#5 ·
Tony said:
I'd respond, but most of your post is covered by an 'ads by google' banner about asking a datsun mechanic now, e-bay motors official site, and national cylinder head. In fact, my posting box is being obscured by another floater pay the owners ad for national cylinder head, datsun hose, car battery prices, and the nissan 2010 clearance. so hopefully someone has more patience with these ads than I, and clicks on them to pay the man and then responds. for me, I'm out of space now, running up against that ads by google 2nd floater....
Mozilla Firefox with the NoScript add-on cuts out all of the ads. Sometimes it locks out things you want to see but overall the clean screen is worth it.

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies.
Car was parked about a year or so ago. I bought it for the engine block and the transmission (price was right). The possibility of it running just makes it easier to get the old girl home. Body is rusted out (reason for it not being restored by the guy I'm getting it from).
I hadn't thought about the battery cables themselves. Good call.

#8 ·
When I first got my ZX it had been sitting for 2 years. I charged the battery , got in it and started it up and drove home. It was that simple. I didn't do anything with the gas but look at the gauge and see that it had a 1/4 tank.Maybe you'll be lucky.
As for the cold, Take 5 quarts of new oil ,keep it in your vehicle warmed up or ask the guy if you can keep it in his house to stay warm , drain the cold old oil out as best as you can and dump the warm in as fast as possible and try to start it. The warm oil will cool fast but it may help a little to get it started.

#9 ·

instructions for Women:

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change.
2) Drink a cup of coffee.
3) 15 minutes later write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent: Oil Change $20.00 Coffee $1.00 Total $21.00

Oil Change instructions for Men:

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00.
2) Stop by liquor store and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20.00, drive home.
3) Open a beer and drink it.
4) Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands. Jack car up.
5) Find jack stands under kids pedal car.
6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7) Place drain pan under engine.
8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
9) Give up and use crescent wrench.
10) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on face and arms in process. Cuss.
11) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms.
12) Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.
16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
17) Buddy shows up; finish case of beer with him. Decide to finish oil change tomorrow so you can go see his new garage door opener work.
18) Sunday: Skip church because "I gotta finish the oil change." Drag pan full of old oil out from underneath car. Cleverly dump oil in hole in back yard instead of taking it to recycle.
19) Throw kitty litter on oil spilled during step 18.
20) Beer. No, drank it all yesterday.
21) Walk to liquor store; buy beer.
22) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
23) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
24) Remember drain plug from step 10.
25) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
26) Remember that the used oil is buried in a hole in the back yard along with drain plug.
27) Drink beer.
28) Shovel out hole and sift oily mud for drain plug. Re-shovel oily patch of ground and avoid environmental penalties. Wash drain plug in lawnmower gas.
29) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
30) Drink beer.
31) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame.
32) Bang head on floorboards in reaction to step 31.
33) Begin cussing fit.
34) Throw stupid crescent wrench.
35) Cuss for additional 10 minutes because wrench hit Miss December (1992) in the left boob.
36) Beer.
37) Clean up hands and forehead and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
38) Beer.
39) Beer.
40) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
41) Beer.
42) Lower car from jack stands.
43) Accidentally crush remaining case of new motor oil.
44) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during steps 23 - 43.
45) Beer.
46) Test drive car.
47) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
48) Car gets impounded.
49) Call loving wife, make bail.
50) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent: Parts $50.00 DUI $2500.00 Impound fee $75.00 Bail $1500.00
Beer $40.00 Total-- $4165.00

But, you have the satisfaction of knowing the job was done right...

#10 ·
use some starting fluid to get it running if its supper cold out. Also take a little space heater if you get it running just in case so the ride back wont be so bad.

#11 ·
zxtoy said:
As for the cold, Take 5 quarts of new oil ,keep it in your vehicle warmed up or ask the guy if you can keep it in his house to stay warm , drain the cold old oil out as best as you can and dump the warm in as fast as possible and try to start it. The warm oil will cool fast but it may help a little to get it started.

The best trick I've seen is to warm it up on the stove. Works like a charm. Otherwise a space heater under the oil pan, or finding one of those magnetic block heaters I can borrow. I'm not too worried about warming up the motor. I was just kind of wondering if these motors act up in the cold.
I'm glad to hear that this 'should' be simple (but I am fully aware that some simple jobs can take a day or two....)

#13 ·
Since were on the topic of vehicle transport, what would you guys think about using a 260z to tow a 280zx for about 1,500 miles. I hate to do it but I bought a 260 in Boston & a s130 in va and I have to get both to Texas. I was thinking of making a custom hitch that would bolt directly to the rear bumper brackets & use a 2 in. Ball.

#15 ·
Vazquez_guy said:
Since were on the topic of vehicle transport, what would you guys think about using a 260z to tow a 280zx for about 1,500 miles. I hate to do it but I bought a 260 in Boston & a s130 in va and I have to get both to Texas. I was thinking of making a custom hitch that would bolt directly to the rear bumper brackets & use a 2 in. Ball.

Sounds like a terrible idea to me. Neither vehicle is meant to tow, so why would you put it through that? Just get a friend/family member to drive the other behind you.

#16 ·
Towing the 260Z behind the 280ZX might be reasonable, but not the reverse. As a general rule of thumb (for vehicles not designed for towing), the weight of the load shouldn't exceed the weight of the vehicle towing it...

#18 ·
Been busy, but finally found time to go pick up the zx yesterday. -25C weather. No block heater. Showed up, put a small propane heater pointed and the engine block. Threw in a battery and boosted it off my other car. Fired right to life after sitting for 3 years. I was impressed to say the least. The **** thing ran amazing too. It's almost a shame I'm going to be tearing it all apart...

Coming soon - '82 280zx part out thread. Body is done. Will have not engine block/head, trans or diff. Everything else must go...

#19 ·
Roschili said:
I'd trailer it if at all possible. Then you know you won't have any issues, other than loading/unloading. If you can't trailer it, then I wish you the best of luck.
Can you pull a trailored Z car from a Z car?

#20 ·
PDX280 said:
Tony said:
Mozilla Firefox with the NoScript add-on cuts out all of the ads. Sometimes it locks out things you want to see but overall the clean screen is worth it.
I too use Firefox and when Tony D fist told me of his viewing issues I could not relate.
BUT, FWIW; wouldn't it be better to really fix the problems instead of frustrating anyone that is not using a certain browser and/or OS combination?
http://www.zcar.com/car_talk_forum/rant_new_ads_spam_895773.0.html

#22 ·
Jlensbo said:
Roschili said:
I'd trailer it if at all possible. Then you know you won't have any issues, other than loading/unloading. If you can't trailer it, then I wish you the best of luck.
Can you pull a trailored Z car from a Z car?
You can put 2 Zs on one trailer, but the original question was one Z which I would recommend towing behind something meant for towing. Like a truck. Not a 280 or 260 or whatever else you may or may not have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.