ZCar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize this question has been covered in years past, but I need to find out if anyone has current knowledge about availability of a stock headpipe for a 73 240z.

I can find stock headpipes from several retailers for 70-72 240z's, but nothing for a 73. Is the 73 manifold that different, and does anyone know if a headpipe for an earlier model can be modified to fit a 73 -- or better yet, a source for a 73 headpipe?

I really don't want to go thru the hassle of installing a header (again), as I have been down that path several years ago with less than acceptable results.

Also, has anyone had success with a muffler shop fabricating a headpipe?

Any knowledgeable feedback appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Id check with Zmanofwashington or maybe zcarsource. They may have one or at least maybe a workaround. 3-2 header would fix you up!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this question has been covered in years past, but I need to find out if anyone has current knowledge about availability of a stock headpipe for a 73 240z.

I can find stock headpipes from several retailers for 70-72 240z's, but nothing for a 73. Is the 73 manifold that different, and does anyone know if a headpipe for an earlier model can be modified to fit a 73 -- or better yet, a source for a 73 headpipe?

I really don't want to go thru the hassle of installing a header (again), as I have been down that path several years ago with less than acceptable results.

Also, has anyone had success with a muffler shop fabricating a headpipe?

Any knowledgeable feedback appreciated.

Thanks!
I'm not sure if I can help. I'm just starting down the road to a full ground-up restoration on a '73 240Z, however...two things

1) The actual build date on my car is 8/72 so it is in that transition period between the end of one model year and the start of another. What I'm finding in my search for "new" electrical parts is that it seems that whatever the factory had left over from the '72 year run they just stuck it my car. As a result I cannot be sure what I have that actually matches a later '73 model.

2) My Father wore out the original 240Z engine and at some point replaced it with a 260Z engine. I'm not sure what on the exhaust is still compatible as I haven't gotten to that point in the disassembly yet. I have already commissioned a new high powered 3L engine from Rebello racing having the delivered the higher compression version of the E33 head from the original 240Z engine to them. The 260Z engine, which still starts and seems to run, will be removed and, unless I can find a taker, sold for parts and then possibly scrapped.

Having said that the stock exhaust will be available as I am having Rebello fit tuned stainless steel or ceramic coated headers, I haven't decided which yet. I've got some time to decide as I'm still waiting on my source to acquire and rebuild a set of three dual-throat Mikuni's. Not sure how you can contact me on this and I cannot give you a date that these parts might be available.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts