ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '82 5spd on my '74 260Z. I have to really slam the shifter into reverse in order to mesh the gears. This is more of a problem when the car is warmed up and at idle speed ~750rpm. (when it is still chugging away, cold, with the choke in @ 500rpm, it goes into reverse much easier).

Is this a problem with the synchro sleeve, reverse idler, etc.? All forward gears shift fine (the spring back on the shifter in neutral is a little sluggish on the left side). Will I be dropping the tranny soon to figure this problem out?

Thanks,
TGL

·
Registered
79 Posts
Before you drop the tranny i would do a couple of things
1) How old is your brake fluid in your clutch master and slave cly? Change that.
2) When is the last time you bleed your clutch? Bleed that.
3) Is your master or slave cly. leaking. Change those if leaking.Make sure that the release fork has grease were it meets the slave cly
Matter of fact since you say that it gets into reverse easy when it is cold, i would think it might be one of the above.

This use to happen to my 87 nissan stanza, and has happen to my 83 zx and i did the above steps to solve it.

Actually the quickest trick that I do is to reach under the car and push the slave cly pin inward until it bottoms out. This pushes fluid back into the master cly. This might be wrong ,BUT..BUT..BUT this works like magic. After this the shifter slides into rev. like butter. Not to mention 2nd is easier to get into. Plus this let me know that the rubber boot on the release fork is gone. Preventive maint.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: reverse crunching on a '82 5spd</b>

Your gears are slight spinning when the car is running. To stop the shaft you want, put the car in 2nd then put it into reverse(with clutch in ofcourse).You might have to do it 2 times sometimes but this works 90% of the time unless you really do have a problem. I would also recommend changing the fluid and check your slave cylinder 1st before dropping the tranny also. Good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You also may want to check for proper adjustment of your clutch pedal. I had a problem of difficult shifting and grinding when going into reverse after a 5 speed retrofit. I lengthend the rod between the master cylinder and the clutch pedal. This gives you more clutch travel. In other words my clutch wasn't disengaging far enough to allow for a smooth shift. It's worked fine ever since!

Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.