ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to school this morning and getting up to speed (5000rpms getting with the flow of traffic) it felt like I hit a rev limiter. Pulled over and it wouldn't rev past 2000rpms. I had to limp the thing 4 miles to my house at 20-30mph. Any help would be greatly appreciated seeing how I am stuck in the suburban until the car is fixed. Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
you need a new air flow meter (AFM)...it's near the drivers side headlight door...it's silver, cylindrical shaped w/ square top & bottom and it will be bolted to the car (unless its been changed before and the guy didnt put the bolts back in....like i would do b/c i cut my hands up tryin to get that thing out) and it has a plug sticking out of the side of it...take the AFM out and find a replacement..you might as well get a new one to save from risking a used one going out too...around here it ran 250 new but i think you can do better than that...from a junkyard it would've run me 100 bux...but it is definitely your AFM no doubt about that
_James_

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So without a doubt it's the mass air flow sensor? Lovely price tag....thanks guys.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Almost surely a bad Air Flow Sensor, as they said...it's a b**** to get out
once you get over the purchase sticker shock. My best price was $200 for a rebuilt one from NAPA. Be sure to disconnect the neg battery terminal before you start removal process. There are 4 bolts that hold it in place, have to get on them from underneath after you remove the plastic splash guard from underneath. Figure on a couple of hours. Do the 3" ducting first, then the small hose, then the elec connector, and finally the 4 bolts. I just did mine on a '86 n/a last week. Sure made a difference in better gas mileage. Re-zero your ECU computer by disconnecting neg battery terminal for a minute or so before you restart the car.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a set of racheting wrenches and that made a whale of a difference in getting the AFM out and reinstalling. That and the fact that I happen to have small hands that can work their way in places and come back out with only a nick or two.

Highly recommend those wrenches. Managed to find a Stanley set of metric ones at WalMart on clearance one day and snapped them up.

Really nice for working in a spot where you can't get a socket.

Roger

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I had this happen to me also and I got a fully re-conditioned AFM for a good price; car went perfect once that was replaced. If you have the option go the re-conditioned one because if you throw in another 2nd hand one equally as tired as the one that just died then you'll come across the same problem sooner or later. Just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
wow. so many people recomending someone spend $200+ on something that hasnt been proven betting than a $30 unit

get a used one. thats my advice unless you have extra money, in which case, still get a used one and just go ahead and send they balance to me.

Nutsaq
17 Salmon Leap
Handbridge, Chester CH47JJ
Unkited Kindom

American cash prefered.

my used one out of a front end wreck has only lasted me 7 years, so I guess I shouldnt give input

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.