ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got this car at auction. 85 300zx turbo - manual. It didn't seem that bad in the pics. I picked it up for $1800.

As soon as I went to pick it up I saw how bad it was.

First I noticed the line of rust across the roof line and down behind the windshield. I then noticed that a rat had gone completely beast mode on the wiring harness. It was chewed in a handful of places and half the hood insulation had been pulled down into the tray below the battery. Other notable issues are the dash (completely peeled up and split open), the head liner, driver window regulator, tires, moss growing out the back from being parked, and the clutch pedal is stuck to the floor.

Fortunately for this car I'm stupid/stubborn. I should have sold it for a parts car but I'd feel bad if I did.

I picked up a wiring harness I was told would be compatible. It's from an 84 turbo car. I almost have the other one out, save for the piece of the loom that goes around to the front passenger side of the car, up under the air intake. Where TF does that go anyway? How many things do I need to take apart?

The other issue I noticed however, is that there's a 3-pin plug missing from my 84 harness. Pics attached. Can anyone help me identify this plug? I can potentially dissect and transplant the wires from the old harness but I figured it's worth doing my research first.

Thanks again everyone. I'll keep you all up to date as this car progresses.

·
Registered
877 Posts
From the pictures it looks like you have a good car to work with. So the harness in the picture is the 85 harness? What area of the car was that connector from? I'm familiar with the connector shape, but it probably exists in more than one location.

The loom you described on the passenger side sounds like the engine harness. Basically you have the main harness, for mostly everything in the car, and then the engine harness which is totally separate, and goes from the engine to the computer.

Personally I wouldn't use any harness other than an exact replacement, unless you just have no choice. I'm willing to accept challenges, but not create them ha ha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That extra plug was down near the ECU but didn't actually plug into the ECU itself. It went elsewhere. I'm still sort of chasing it down I just have too many cars to tinker with. I hope I have an update on this soon.

Yeah the harness in the pic (with the plug in question) is from my 85 car. The 84 harness I have is almost identical except for that part in the pic.

From the pictures it looks like you have a good car to work with. So the harness in the picture is the 85 harness? What area of the car was that connector from? I'm familiar with the connector shape, but it probably exists in more than one location.

The loom you described on the passenger side sounds like the engine harness. Basically you have the main harness, for mostly everything in the car, and then the engine harness which is totally separate, and goes from the engine to the computer.

Personally I wouldn't use any harness other than an exact replacement, unless you just have no choice. I'm willing to accept challenges, but not create them ha ha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts