ZCar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my 84 300zx since 1999 and my grandparents bought it new in 1983. Car is all original minus a few mods like exhaust, headers, away bars. Has 87k original miles and runs well. Interior is perfect minus loss of padding to seats. Dash is uncracked. Car for the most part is in good condition for age. But I want to refreash/restore the car. New paint, replace window seals that have shrunk over the years, etc. I've called two Z restoration places and both told me the same thing. They can't take the project on because parts availability is too scarce for the car. There is no aftermarket support and OEM parts are hard to find. Needless to say I love the car but as time goes on the car is little by little falling apart. I'm currently at a crossroads where it needs repairs and tune up. Nothing crazy. Just timing belt service, plugs, wires, etc. The basics. Plus the master cylinder and power steering leak so needs to be fixed. I've been putting it off because I figured I would just do everything at once. But now it seems that restoring that car will be impossible due to lack of parts. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get my car refreshed with lack of parts support

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
whoever told you that you can't get any parts is full of crap. i've been maintaining and fixing 2 300zx cars for the past 8 years... and I'm not even in the United States!

www.300zxpartsforyou.com a huge selection of used and hard to find parts specifically for the Z31, all years. give Steve a call. if he doesn't have it, he can probably get it.

www.nissanpartsdeal.com these guys still have alot of brand new factory parts. and they have all the parts diagrams. excellent parts source.

www.rockauto.com this site has good parts as well, and a variety of makes. mostly for stock stuff like engine parts, transmission, suspension, cooling, electrical, etc.

www.theZstore.com dedicated to all Zcars. kind of pricey but they have a good selection of Z specific parts.

www.certifiedmuffler.com Dave makes a complete turbo back mandrel bend 2.5-3" stainless steel exhaust for the Z31, Z32 and the 280zx.

you can do this.

cheers,

Bon

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the links. I'll check them out. I guess the hard part is going to be convincing someone to take on the job. I can't restore the car myself. Thanks for the insight

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
whats your location? there maybe some Z car clubs close to you area

Bon

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Las Vegas. There was a club out here but it dissolved several years ago.

I mean I figure there has to be a way to keep up these old 300zx. I mean I see tons of other more rare jdm cars clean and restored. I would assume parts would even be harder to find for those cars. I'll make some calls to some other places around here next week

·
Registered
643 Posts
I think whoever told you know about parts not available was mostly an excuse as it probably means they just didn't want to do it. Bon's list is great and this forum can be a lot of help too. Lots of knowledge.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Here's another site for used Z31 parts. Alan, the site owner, has stripped down a lot of Z31s in his time. https://vintagezparts.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts