ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a lot of compliments on the gauges and a lot of people don't believe that I made them. Until I show them my name printed on the tachometer at the bottom. heh heh

Zebra, that is a GREAT idea regarding the matte finish. That's the only thing I don't like about mine is the glossy finish. (Maybe I'll redo mine someday) I am also aware of a product developed for architects that has the matte surface on one side, it's for mechanical pencil drafting.

I'm glad you guy's like the gauges. It is really my pleasure to give them away and you don't have to send me anything $-wise if you don't want to. I know how cheap us Z-car owners are!:)

Regarding my Velo Rossa: Richard, I am headed down to the body/paint shop this afternoon to check on the progress of my fiberglass baby. I understand that it will be getting first of 5 coats of primer today or tomorrow, but I want to make sure that every little detail and surface is perfect before ANY paint goes down. This is what they'll be doing. 5 coats of primer with sand between each coat. 4 coats of light metallic silver with wet sand between each coat and a clear coat to top it off. The end result should be like a mirror!

Regards to all

Steve G

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pictures! pictures! ASAP!

Steve, we want to see pictures of your baby as soon as she is done at the paint shop.

I've been waiting and wondering for several months. Good luck for a great paint job.

Alex

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None as anxious as I!!!

This car has taken over a year to get to this point and I am going CRAZY just having to wait for the paint and the upholstery! It's important not to rush the paint guy though! I'm treating him like he's the most important and best guy in the world. A sample conversation could go something like this... "Yes SIR, can I get you a back massage SIR?, a glass of water SIR? Would you like my wife SIR?" heh heh

Steve G

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was considering the VeloRossa kit myself. Talked to John Washington by e-mail and got my installation manual from him. Finally saw 1 a couple of months ago with a small Chevy in it, LOVE at first sight. Problem is I have a ' 72, not as well suited for the kit and I kinda hate to carve it up, we'll see.For all you guys wonderin' if this kit is worth it I'll tell you a little story. Took my girlfriend to look at the car, jumped in and started looking around, looked up at her and she's standing there shaking her head. she said " I'll tell you what, you pull all your teeth and get dentures, you want to drive the car, you hand me the dentures, I give you the keys". I think that says it all.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VR has AZ Donors available

That's funny shooz! My wife did the same thing. She wants to make sure I wear my ring at all times. The car is an incredible chick magnet. I heard that one was over at a local car show here in Phoenix a while back and it was totally mobbed by people wanting to know what it was.

I know that John Washington has at least 3 (maybe more) late model Z's that are perfect as donors. You know the kind, so **** ugly to look at, but mechanically sound and no rust. Perfect for the rebody because the entire body gets re-skinned in fiberglass and you can put a new interior in it as well, so there is no hint whatsoever that it was ugly in a past life.

Just wait till you see mine!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Gauge question.

Can you still see the illumination at night? My Z has been in the shop, and I can't seem to remember how they are illuminated. Also, is it possible to change the colors? Would like red, like the BMW's and some of the older Mazda's.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: Gauge answer

The original lighting in the Z gauges is a light green color. This looks GREAT with the white gauges! Very eery light green on white. The illumination doesn't change because the light comes from around the edges of the gauges just like the original. If you want to keep all of your gauge lights and signals, you will need to mask off those areas on the new gauge faces so they don't get painted white. This will add to the complexity of the project.

As far as changing the color of the lighting. It would be relatively easy to accomplish. Remove the green tinted plastic light covers inside the gauges and replace the stock clear bulbs with colored bulbs. Red, blue, yellow. Or keep the clear bulbs and glue a colored gel of your choice in front of them.

Steve G

·
Registered
358 Posts
RE: Gauge answer

Sounds good. If I can ever get around to doing it I'll check the comlexity of masking and if possible check different colors first to find what I like best.
Thanks

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve,
When I installed your gauges, I just used heavy stock paper from Kinko's and glued that on the faces. It worked great and no glare at all! Thanks again!
Mike Golding

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.