Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,
Question is, is it a good idea to replace my studs on the exhaust manifold when I pop it open to replace the gasket? While the manifold is open can I do anything else such as clean anything with certain whatever?

Is there a spray I can use to pain my head cover? it's looking pretty shaby, if I sand it down would It reduce heat or gain more??

Thanks Z fans..

·
Registered
411 Posts
I didn't think those bolts can be replaced... I thought they were machined into the head. I'd say just be careful not to break them or you may have to do something then :)
Use some PB blaster or equiv and soak'em down so the nut comes off easier, then use some anti-sieze when reinstalling so if you need to take them off again it will be much easier. If you feel ambitious I'd spray some carb cleaner in there to clean some of the carbon off too.
-zakaron

·
Registered
511 Posts
If the studs look worn and are missing threads I would replace them.
They are removable and easy to do.

Clean the valve cover.
Macguires Aluminum polish...Wipe it on wipe off the black.
It will shine.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Wow Dude
Don't forget these have been heat treated for 20 years.
My vote is for D, they could snap.
Any idea about the time and cost of replacing one?
You are one cool mechanic to be venturing this path.
What are you doing for lunch?

MAD
HWD
FLA
USA

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I replaced all my exhaust studs with heat-treated allen-wrench-head bolts. they don't need to be retoque and they don't leak. : )

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure what you were asking about but....

This is my first time venturing into the motor... I have no prior experience, however I have watched and learned. I have 4 days off to complete the gasket replacement, clean cover, and replace clutch (also have never done that before). I don't even want to think about how much it would cost to have a mechanic do it. Hands on training I say, makes the Z more personnel.
About lunch, you live near San Diego? lol...

Thanks for your reply

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.