ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I've searched the archives and can't find anything relating to this particular idea. I've been having trouble with the fan clutch on my weekend 280Z. I pulled it a couple weeks ago and after working some WD40 into it, it started working again. Well, after taking care of finals and coming back home from school, the bearing is locked up again. I want to replace it, but I'd rather not put the stock thing back on. I know electric is the way to upgrade, but I'm too strapped for cash to do it right. My dad mentioned that some hot rodders use some kind of Flexolite plastic fan that is real light. Why don't you see light weight plastic fans directly bolted to L engines? If I cant get one with our particular four bolt pattern, I'm sure I can just drill the right holes. Anyway, if anybody knows a reason against this, please tell me. Thanks, Lee Z

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Flex fan

The flex fans I have seen are usually fairly generic in that they are designed to fit V8s. The problem is finding a suitable hub to adapt it to your water pump. I know I never found one up here in Canada so I gave up on the idea. The fans been laying on my shelf ever since. I am sure one could be fabricated but it seems like more of a hassel than it's worth. Why don't you just buy the clutch, they're not that pricey here, in the States they must almost be free! Then when you have some more money get an electric set up.

G

·
0 Posts
Personally, I think a flex fan is a good way to go. I replace the fan clutch in my 86T about every two to three years. I've never had one last more than three years in any of my cars. I think they are the most neglected maintenance item on a Z. I spoke with the guys at the local race shop and they don't seem to think it would be that hard. They said what they would need the old fan clutch to establish the bolt pattern. You might want to try a race shop if there is one in your area. If you just replace the fan clutch with another one keep the receipt as they usually carry a life time guarantee. You'll be doing this again in two to three years. Hope this helps. Good luck. John

·
Registered
664 Posts
I wouldn't use a flex fan~ too much flex and not enough blades
causes inadequate air flow for normal driving.= overheat.
Three solutions in cheapest order:
1)Take apart the clutch and fill with 80/90W oil. More than likely, the seal is bad and will freeze up again at some point.

2)Used clutch from boneyard, friend, online, or Z dealer.
No garuntees, could last a week, could last years.

3)New clutch/warranty- expensive for what ya get,but can't live without it.

My 2¢
Ron

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys

I guess I'll go to the parts store tomarrow and see what they have. i'll take the old fan in with me. Fan clutches are about 45 bucks or 60 for genuine nissan i think. I would try the flexer, but I'm a little wary about its cooling capacity, especially without a shroud. Anyway, if it works out I'll put a post up. Thanks again, Lee Z

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.