ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving my Z I noticed that the noise from the rear had got significantly worse. Jacked up the rear and took off the diff mounting plate, then the nuts holding the diff insulator. I ended up with the insulator falling to the floor in about 4 pieces.

Having a spare diff insulator in one hand and my trusty service manual in the other I thought yes this was going to be an easy job to complete. All the information in the manual suggested tail shaft and diff removal. I thought through what was suggested and it didn't make sense going through all that work to change the insulator.

Cutting a long story short, I didn't take the tail shaft or diff out to change the insulator, the replacement was installed in just over two hours.

Just letting those that don't know, you can change the diff mounting insulator without removing the diff.

Regards

CM

· Registered
301 Posts
It can be done, but it's a lot of work either way. I didn't remove the diff or tail shaft either, but I had the whole rear suspension hanging loose before all was said and done. The isolater needed to be changed, but it didn't solve my rear clunk problem. Dangit.

It's not a huge process but don't expect it to go in and out like and alternator or a brake pad.

E

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't remove any of the suspension either, it can be done without up setting the rear end at all, in fact leaving the rear end helped by supporting the weight of everything.

Changing the insulator has reduced just about all the noise from the rear. I have also upgraded all the the bushes front and back. You could consider that as part of the answer to your problems if you haven't already. Also I have found that the uni joint's can contribute to the problem also.

Good luck

CM

· Registered
1,098 Posts
i pulled the rear from a zx to put in my 240.. on bryan little site it says you need the curved rear crossmember.. doesnt say z or zx .. so i pulled the rear crossmember from the zx.. what a ufcking nightmare.. and i dont even need it.. i didnt have my 240's rear suspension memorized.. i do now.. and the zx's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.