ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the plastic lenses for my gagues as they are aged and smokey on my 1981ZX. Is there any way to do this without removing the dash?
From what I have found out so far it seems that removing the dash is a real pain.

Also, while I am here, I seem to have an oil leak from somewhere around the oil pressure sending unit. I took the boot off of the unit and it was full of oil. The unit itself seems to be tight. Anyone ever heard of this before? It seems to be leaking quite a bit of oil from the unit itself or somewhere awfully close to it.
Thanks,
A. L.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I'm not sure if the dash gauges for the 81 ZX are similar to the 240, but on the 240 you can remove the gauges individually. Granted you have to remove the Heater Control Console to get at the center gauges, and then you have to squirm your hand behind the dash to remove the speedo and tach, but you can remove them.

The individual gauges can then be disassembled and then replace the plastic. Don't know where you can buy just the lenses, but I'm sure that you can find replacement gauges at the boneyard.

FWIW

·
Registered
685 Posts
Once you get the lenses out try an polish then with McGuiers cleaner and polish I used it on my tail lights and clearence lights and they look like new. give it a shot , bought it at the local parst store. Good luck , Gary Portland Ore.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had the same issue with my oil sending unit... I thought it was somewhere near it as well and was loosing about 1 quart a month. I could see blow-by but never the leak. What I finally discovered was the oil was puking out from right around the nut and post that holds the electrical connection to the opil sending unit. Replacing the unit with one at the Junkyard, $5.00, fixed all my troubles.
Good Luck,
Jerr

·
Registered
600 Posts
A great way to polish fogged plastics is spray on furniture wax. I don't know why it works but it does. It even repels dust!

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are plastics polishing compounds availble from plexiglass and plastics wholesalers like Cadillac plastics they are a mild abrasive buffing compound. Will actually polish out the amoral haze and crap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.