ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to replace the injectors on my 83T (now with 18K miles). Steve at Rising Sun speculates the injectors are the problem, and I hope he's right, but I occaisionally run into someone that says the injectors should be fine -- just dirty. I have run tons of cleaner through them, had them pulsed and the tips hand cleaned, etc. I don't fully understand the design of an injector, but what do you guys think on a car that has only been occaisionally driven for the past 16 years?
The car runs lean and very rough. Steve and a previous mechanic have looked it over thoroughly for other causes. I'm getting ready to drop about $1000 on the injectors and hope I'm not wasting my money -- but will gladly do so if it runs right afterward.

Thanks!
Brian

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have a 83 280zx non-turbo and I was having some trouble with it running a little lean also but I have 156K on my bad boy. The probelm was the injectors but one was totaly shot and was leaking gas and had to be replaced. This is the only probelm I have had with those injectors and I have put lots and lots of miles on them. I also have a nissan truck with the same injectors and they are fine too. You should look and maybe your carburation or the electric system (which is much cheaper) before you buy those injectors.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I'd make sure your fuel pressure regulator is working right. I'm fiding it hard to believe the injectors would be bad at 18k miles. Sam 75 280z, 81 280zxt

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>RE: Replace injectors on stored car?</b>

Brian, no set of 280zxt injectors run 1000 bucks to replace, even the ones color matched from Bosch direct order(about 60 bucks each with a 5 day wait). Don't buy these parts from whoever you are going to. Also, the fuel deposits that accumulate from being driven only 18k over 20 years suggest that your injectors are clogged, and no cleaning service is going to help them. Ask RC engineering in CA for their opinion if you have doubts. BTW, your fuel pressure reg should also be replaced, along with the fuel filter, and include a thorough fuel tank and pump cleanup in you billing. Another problem to be aware of is that as fuel sits in 280zx type cars(and all others for that matter) the tank gets water in it, creating tiny rust particles that clog the screen that is in the primary fuel pump line coming off the gas tank. Many times I have sold pumps to people that had clogged strainers in their pumps that eventually burned the pumps out.Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.